New to juice buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefrommichigan

Reaction score
Hi, I have been making kit wines for a couple of years now, but I have finally decided to try my hand at making wine from a juice bucket.

I have been reading some of the forum threads with great interest and I was hoping to find a sticky or thread that explains the steps, or the differences between making kit wines compared to juice buckets.

I also sent a note to the retailer asking for some info on the wines he will be getting in April (will yeast be added, will acid be adjusted etc.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I forgot to ask, how long can I keep the juice buckets before starting fermentation? I have access to a cold room (38F)that I could store them in.

Thanks

Mike, I made my first juice bucket this fall. The instructions were printed on the side of the bucket. They were very easy to follow. So far very happy with the results. May order 4 buckets this fall. Roy

Mine was fermenting on the ride home. Lots of juice buckets are pre-innoculated.

If I stop fermentation when I get them, any idea how long can I store the juice buckets before I am ready to start them? I have access to a cold room (38F)that I could store them in. I was hoping to get a half dozen or so and start them every couple of weeks. Good job I have enough carboys, but then maybe I haven't

You won't be able to stop fermentation unless you freeze the bucket, and at that SG, freezing would take more than a few bags of ice.

The benefit of killing off everything first, and then adding your own yeast is: that you have killed off everything else (or at least have substantially reduced their strength) that when you innoculate with your yeast, your yeast will take over before anything else has a chance.

1/4 teaspoon of K-Meta. then, wait a day or two. If you add your yeast right away, you will kill it with the k-meta.

FYI: there are other things you might want to do to fresh juice to enhance the final product. adjusting the ph, and other acids, tannins, etc.

I have read several posts that do state that any yeast added before shipping can be killed or reduced. If that is correct then I should be able to store in a cold room. How long have others kept their juice pails before starting to make wine?

Thanks

I have read several posts that do state that any yeast added before shipping can be killed or reduced. If that is correct then I should be able to store in a cold room. How long have others kept their juice pails before starting to make wine?

Thanks

Stunned until your chosen yeast overtakes it maybe. It's nearly impossible to stop an active ferment.

Also., kmeta doesn't kill wine yeast. That's why we can use it in our musts without worry. Wine yeast has been selectively bread to live in a kmeta environment.

Last edited:
If the buckets you get are adjusted and inoculated, it would much less troublesome to proceed with what is there than try to stop and go with something different. You can always fine tune after fermentation. I too have been doing buckets for some time and have yet to be disappointed. Overall best "bang-for-your-buck" with much less fussing. However YOUR taste buds will tell the final tale.

All of the wine kits I made came with BENTONITE & ISINGLASS as the fining agents.
Any recommendations as to what Fining agent to use for the juice buckets?

Djrockinsteve suggests SPARKLOID in his Basic Juice fermenting Guide. I have never used that.

I picked up 3 pails of Chilean Carménère and 3 pails of Chilean Petite Sirah yesterday. I started the Carménère this morning and put the Petite Sirah in a cooler for several weeks until I can start it.
Anyone have any thoughts on adding oak to either of these 2 wines?

Yes, I've enjoyed medium + or heavy toast French oak in Carmenere I've made before. This spring, I'll oak using one of those 2 toast levels again.

I picked up 3 pails of Chilean Carménère and 3 pails of Chilean Petite Sirah yesterday. I started the Carménère this morning and put the Petite Sirah in a cooler for several weeks until I can start it.
Anyone have any thoughts on adding oak to either of these 2 wines?

Be sure to measure the brix on the Petite. If it slowly ferments over the next few weeks in the cold storage, the brix will drop a bit before you start your active ferment.

Also, ask them what the starting brix was when you go to pick them up. This way you will know if they have started to ferment

Alot of good information here - I would also add in using go ferm and fermaid K

It made a huge difference in my Chilean buckets from last year.

Latest posts

Back