New To Growing Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rparker4465

Junior
Reaction score
I live in North Georgia and planted 2 grape plants about a month ago. Watering and fertilizing. I've had a few issues in the nearby garden with japanese beetles. My grapes are showing signs of either insect or fungal problems, not sure which or both is correct. Could really use some help with identifying the issue and what to do to eliminate the issue. These are young plants.20210617_174948.jpg20210617_175000.jpg20210617_174821.jpg

I have some concord vines that are in their first year of full production. The vines look geat and the grapes looked great until today. I check them every day, mainly to eliminate JB's but today I saw a couple of clusters that had something on them that wasn't there 2 days ago.
I sprayed with mancozeb after bud break, at 3 inch shoots and at 6 inch shoots. After blossoming, I sprayed with Serenade. We have had hot dry weather all spring and summer so far. But yesterday it rained all day and today I discovered the marks on the grapes.
Does anyone know what it might be and what can be done?IMG_0015.jpg

Fungicides. There are curative fungicides. I cycle several throughout the year. Research Google for your options. Mancozeb, myclobutanil, strobulirines, captan, copper. All have different PHI's and costs. If you don't take the time to understand fungicides then plant muscadines...seriously.

Is this physical damage or an infection? Other than removing some leaves, is there anything I can do?
Actually, I have done a lot of research into the proper use of fungicides and I sprayed with mancozeb three times earlier in the season but with a 66 day PHI, I don't want to use it now. I used Serenade and I have a copper fungicide and I will get any other one that I may need. However, I don't know what the problem is. It doesn't look like powdery mildew or downy mildew or black rot or any fungal disease that I could find online.
I still have no idea if I even have a fungal disease, an insect problem or some kind of physical damage

It looks a little like Anthracnose but I don't see any lesions on the vines. Hit it with Captan and Immunox. It may just be a little discolor from the rain...anyway, the Captan and Immunox won't hurt. Both have a 14 day PHI so you are good for now. You can get Fruit Tree Spray (Captan) and Immunox at Lowe's.
Don't pull too many leaves now or risk sunburn.

It looks a little like Anthracnose but I don't see any lesions on the vines. Hit it with Captan and Immunox. It may just be a little discolor from the rain...anyway, the Captan and Immunox won't hurt. Both have a 14 day PHI so you are good for now. You can get Fruit Tree Spray (Captan) and Immunox at Lowe's.
Don't pull too many leaves now or risk sunburn.
Thanks! The vines will get captan tomorrow.

Back