New to forum

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peagen

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just found this site, didn't know something like this existed. Looking forward to talking to everyone and sharing the little knowledge I have. I've been making wine for about two years now and have about three batches in the works right now. One I started about four months ago with cherry koolaid, fermenting very slowly. One I started about one week ago with grape juice from the store. The last I started today with apple juice from the store. Don't have any fresh fruit this time of year in Michigan. :(

Did you add any nutrient and or energizer to the Cool Aid batch!

I added 5 tsp. of acid blend when I started. I then added one tablespoon of nutrient and two and a half teaspoons of energizer back in october. It is fermenting, but it is very slow. S.G. was at 1.096 When I started, now it is at 1.044. Added more energizer and nutrient a couple days ago.

What size is this batch and what is the temp of the wine? Being that it is Koolaid there would be very little if any nutrients in this so you would want 1 tsp of nutrient per gallon and 1/2 tsp of energizer per gallon. If you are lower on these specs you should add now.

After the addition of nutrient and energizer a couple days ago it has that much in it now.
As far as the temp. goes it has been near the wood stove for most of the time so probably around 75 to 80.

Guess its just a slow going beast then, you have everything by the book! What yeast did you use on this batch?

Alot of the mebers may disagree, but start a batch with frozen juice concentrate. It'll work. These are your ingredients for 5 gals or so...(12 cans frozen juice, 12 cups sugar, 1 pk yeast, bout 2-3 tbls yeast nutrient), patience, extreme patience, and a little water. Obviously it'll take a bit more than that, but thats it. Read the threads. We'll get you going.
Troy
(Frozen Alaskan Hippie)
Obviously some of these measurements need to change, but thats pretty much it

Guess its just a slow going beast then, you have everything by the book! What yeast did you use on this batch?
Actually, when I started it I put in red star montratchet, but after a couple months when the S.G. only dropped .016 I put in Lavlin 71B-1122 with some nutrient and energizer.

arcticsid, that is an aweful lot of nutrient there! The usual recommended dosage is 1 tsp per gallon.

Latest posts

Back