New sinks!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jal5

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been wanting sinks in the basement to make winemaking chores easier. A friend donated a double sink to the cause last weekend. I already had water supply lines in the garage so now I just need a waste water line. Plan to use a plastic line to the drain in the concrete floor. It can be stored when not in use.
No more dragging all my equipment upstairs to the kitchen!

I did the same last week and it is GREAT! When we built our house we plumbed the basement for a bathroom but it hasn’t gone in yet, it’s now the perfect wine making room. Probably won’t ever be a bathroom now!

I have been wanting sinks in the basement to make winemaking chores easier. A friend donated a double sink to the cause last weekend. I already had water supply lines in the garage so now I just need a waste water line. Plan to use a plastic line to the drain in the concrete floor. It can be stored when not in use.
No more dragging all my equipment upstairs to the kitchen!
Jal5, I understand! I have been storing my equipment in my shower (obviously which I never use) and doing primary ferment in my oversized Loo. I am scared to death I am going to spill some red wine onto the tile floor and having it saturate the grouting...............OMG!! That said, I am engaging a local Amish carpenter to make an addition onto my garage that will be a wine-making room/wine cellar sorta-place. I need to figure out how to have water to that space with "gray-water" dispursement (like the Amish do). Currently I am recovering from wall-to-wall carpet being laid yesterday, and my mind is boggled with bringing my house back in order from that. When I find my mind again I will do more planning on the wine room. Let us know how your plans are coming along. I, personally, will appreciate learning from YOUR experience, and may learn something in the process................................Dizzy

Jal5, I understand! I have been storing my equipment in my shower (obviously which I never use) and doing primary ferment in my oversized Loo. I am scared to death I am going to spill some red wine onto the tile floor and having it saturate the grouting...............OMG!! That said, I am engaging a local Amish carpenter to make an addition onto my garage that will be a wine-making room/wine cellar sorta-place. I need to figure out how to have water to that space with "gray-water" dispursement (like the Amish do). Currently I am recovering from wall-to-wall carpet being laid yesterday, and my mind is boggled with bringing my house back in order from that. When I find my mind again I will do more planning on the wine room. Let us know how your plans are coming along. I, personally, will appreciate learning from YOUR experience, and may learn something in the process................................Dizzy
Gotta love the Amish here in Ohio. Quality work for next to nothing. And extremely fast! I keep a few contacts in my back pocket 😁👍🏻

Gotta love the Amish here in Ohio. Quality work for next to nothing. And extremely fast! I keep a few contacts in my back pocket 😁👍🏻
Morning Musty, I don't know what you mean by "next to to nothing", but one of the two Amish I had moving the furniture back into the home from the barn where it was stored during the laying of carpet, said he was paid $45/hr.!!!! I was paying them $25/hr. and thought that was good wages. Since you are in Mansfield, and I am outside of Mt. Vernon I might ask for some of those back pocket contact numbers. LOL...................Dizzy

Dizzy what’s the gray water dispersal the Amish use?
The Health Department approves the dispersal of water used in washing oneself, dishes, showering, etc.. directly into the environment without using a septic system. That is considered Gray water. Some dig a trench and run the gray water into the ground. I have seen some Amish dig a trench and run their trench into the trench alongside the road. Bottom line is the water cannot contain any ground contaminants/chemicals. I am going to contact them to see if any of our wine-making chemicals would be forbidden. If they are, then I will have to find a way to connect to my septic. Hope it doesn't come to that because that would be costly as the new addition would be about 100 ft. from existing septic..........................................Dizzy

I set up a length of 1.5 pvc pipe directly to a floor drain. The sink drain goes into a short piece of pipe then to a 90 deg elbow and from the elbow a quick disconnect adaptor to the long pvc pipe. Works fine. When finished I quick disconnect and store the long pipe till next time.

I ran my drain line from my sink to the sump pit used for the cloth washer. The float stuck a few months ago and I had to replace the pump....that was a chore.

Back