New Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperjoe1

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to wine making. I have made a 5 gal. batch of Dragons Blood and 5 gal. Concord grape wine, both in the clearing stages.
I started a new must last night and it is my own recipe. I could use some help to let me know if I am missing anything as in the acid or tannings (or anything at all) as I am not sure of these.
My readings for the must is as follows:
Brix=21.5 Pot. ABV 12.5%
PH=3.0 (was 4.0 before acid blend)
Not sure of the TA because I don’t have a kit yet but I did taste it. At 1st it was weak on acid so I added 2 Tbsp, 1 at a time, of Acid blend and that got the acidity taste up.

(I haven’t pitched the yeast yet)
INGREDIENTS

1. 620g ginger root
2. 1495g ripe bananas
3. 453.59g of raisins
4. 1 can (567g) pineapple chunks
5. 37.6 ozs (1.07 kg)Brown sugar (5.05kg total brown/white sugar)
6. 140.6 ozs (3.99kg)White sugar
7. Rind and juice from 3 lemons
8. Rind and juice from 2 oranges
9. 5 campden tablets
10. 1 Tbsp yeast energizer
11. 2 Tbsp Acid Blend
12. 1 packet EC-118 yeast

Thanks in advance for all of your help. My head is just a whirlwind right now not knowing what I am actually doing. I am keeping good notes of the process though.

I have about 7 gallons working which is the reason for the 5 Camden tablets. I pitched the yeast yesterday and it seems to be working fine so far.

Sounds great! Do anything to the Ginger root or does it just get tossed in?

I like the ginger and have also been experimenting with it (as well as bananas). I found that too much ginger inhibits yeast activity a bit, but a moderate amount is fine. Nice ginger flavor is early on--after a 12.5ABV, it doesn't really taste like ginger anymore, but is still a nice flavor, especially with the body that banana imparts. For easy reference, I named my version LGBTM (Lime Ginger Banana Tea Mango) :)

I like the ginger and have also been experimenting with it (as well as bananas). I found that too much ginger inhibits yeast activity a bit, but a moderate amount is fine. Nice ginger flavor is early on--after a 12.5ABV, it doesn't really taste like ginger anymore, but is still a nice flavor, especially with the body that banana imparts. For easy reference, I named my version LGBTM (Lime Ginger Banana Tea Mango) :)

Do you have a recipe you use? Sounds intriguing.

Sometime you should try substituting some quince for your mango! :)

Haha, that’s funny

Last time, I did the following:

Simmered on the stove:

4 bananas and peels
5 limes and zest
4 thumb-sized pieces of ginger
11 bags of green tea
6 cups cane sugar

Added 1/2 gal mango juice and enough water to bring to 3 gal.

The pH was kind of high so I added a small amount of citric acid to bring it down to 3.57. But in the end I regretted that addition. At the end of fermentation it was near 3.2 and a little too acidic in flavor (the idea was something quick, no aging). On the other hand, after sitting for only a week, the acid isn't too overwhelming. Haven't checked pH or TA. This one was for quick reward, minimal hassles. I have also found that an addition of bananas and mango to my more serious red wine experiments tastes wonderful. It still tastes like red wine, but with a deluxe after flavor that lingers.

Day 14, racked ginger wine into a carboy after reaching 1.000 SG. Results were surprisingly good. Potential ABV is 12.67% and the taste results are in. Had a sweet taste, acidic, could taste a hint of banana, orange, lemon and fruit. Has a burn a few seconds after swallowing.
This is the 1st wine that I have made that my wife actually liked so I guess that says something. Well, now it’s all about the wait ☹️

Latest posts

Back