New Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 15 sg 1.025 temp 75 degrees. Hi Brigitte the new site takes some getting used to huh. Sorry you have been out of the loop. Wine is doing well, I added the yeast starter I made yesterday and it's slow going. Flavor is still good but losing the coconut. By may calculations I should be adding two gallons of rum to the wine once I am ready.

I was just checking out rum prices and ran across coconut rum. Now I am curious to see what it taste like. Wondering how it would play with my wine. The pineapple flavor is still holding but has a soft taste to it more sweet than any thing else. Anyways who knows how this will end but it has been a fun ride. Take care

Dy 16 sg 1020 temp 75 degrees nothing to report today

Thanks for the update. I was thinking of you while we racked some wine today. My pear pineapple wine had more pineapple flavor coming through than before. It’s been aging for 2 months since we last checked it. Trying to get it to clear. Then we can bottle it!! Wooohooooo

Hi Brigitte it's funny how the pineapple flavor is hanging in there I hope mine become more prominent as it ages my real problem will be how to get the coconut back in play. Take care.

Day 17 sg 1.020 temp 76 degrees, I am a little disappointed that my new yeast hasn't kick off very well yet. Perhaps it's for the best if I get no further fermentation that may be a plus. Right now I am sitting on some good amount of sugar in the must.

I could add some sorbet to kill off the yeast and then rack to a clean carboy. Once that is done I could let the wine age a bit before I add the rum.with the sugar left in that way I won't have to back sweeten any. Who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Hi jasper. Was wondering where your sp gr is today?
I am in no way an expert and I hope someone can clear this up for me. I don’t understand why more sugar is needed of the sp gr is 1.020. To me that indicates there is still some sugar in the must and the yeast should be happy with the nutrients and remaining sugar ?
I am not saying it won’t work bc I don’t know. Just trying to reason out what’s going on here. I would have thought your numbers would be dropping more with the new yeast.

Day 19 sg 1.020 temp 76. Hi Brigitte I had the same question. I didn't understand the sugar reference either.

Because I am still looking at a sg of 1.020 I decided to stabilize today. I still have enough sugar in the must that back sweetening should not be necessary. Once the wine clears I will add the rum and adjust the coconut flavor to taste. I know that stabilization was not necessary but since I won't be adding the rum right away I thought it best I don't want my sg going any lower at this point.

I read some old port making post that said to add the fortified at around 6 brixs so that is what I am doing. Hopefully this will work for me. Take care

Are you using the coconut rum ?

I really thought the 1118 yeast would have kick started your fermentation
How is it looking ? Clear ?

Hi Brigitte so far the wine is still cloudy I don't think the 1118 ever got a chance to really get going. Maybe the alcohol was just to high I really don't know. I had a good starter but three days at sg 1.020 tells me it never took. I am going to add a clearing agent today and sit on it for two weeks and see where I am at then. Take care

Brigitte you have a good weekend to the wine is clearing great and I should be able to filter it soon. Take care

After filtering this wine thru a one micro filter this wine now has a lovely yellow color of pineapple. I used my all-in-one wine pump and it worked great.

I now have just under 6 gallons of lovely pineapple coconut wine that come payday will be mixed with 2 gallons of light rum. For a fortified wine of 20% abv hopefully to taste of pina colada.

On deck to bottle are a great blueberry peppermint and a dragon's blood. Fun times.

Hi Brigitte the blueberry peppermint taste great. All it needs is a bottle and label and I will be set. The dragons blood turn out ok too not quite what I was expecting but ok, I am happy with it. Take care

Hi Brigitte the blueberry peppermint taste great. All it needs is a bottle and label and I will be set. The dragons blood turn out ok too not quite what I was expecting but ok, I am happy with it. Take care

Hey jasper. Would you share your blueberry peppermint recipe?

I have some triple berry aging on a bag of frozen fruit I picked up at Walmart. It’s a berry cherry plumb and cacao nibs. Pretty interesting. We racked it today.
Cheers

Hey jasper. Would you share your blueberry peppermint recipe?

I have some triple berry aging on a bag of frozen fruit I picked up at Walmart. It’s a berry cherry plumb and cacao nibs. Pretty interesting. We racked it today.
Cheers

Brigitte I would be happy to. Let me gets my notes together and I will send it your way. Take care

Your extra coconut extract might be a nice additive to a glass of rum or other beverages until you new wine is ready to drink. I imagine just a drop or two would do the trick. You don't want that stuff to go to waste. :b

Your extra coconut extract might be a nice additive to a glass of rum or other beverages until you new wine is ready to drink. I imagine just a drop or two would do the trick. You don't want that stuff to go to waste. :b

Scooter68 thanks for the reply. You are right that does sound good. I was thinking about using it to help with a grape juice wine that I am thinking of making along with chocolate. Who knows the possibilities are endless. Take care

Latest posts

Back