New Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brigitte mine are usually done by now about a week is all it takes. This one is slow but I will watch it and make sure all goes well. Good hearing from you again take care.

Day 8 sg 1.050 temp 78 degrees no more yeast matte. Flavor more subtle now alcohol starting to dominate taste. Not sure if I will use this type of yeast again.

Day 8 sg 1.050 temp 78 degrees no more yeast matte. Flavor more subtle now alcohol starting to dominate taste. Not sure if I will use this type of yeast again.

Hi jasper
When you say subtle flavor is that the pineapple as well as coconut? The only pineapple wine I have had was very sweet and the pineapple flavor wasn’t really there. I thought it was bc it was so syrupy sweet. I wonder if pineapple is just subtle in wine no matter what ? Interesting following your progress !!
Have a good evening.

Hi jasper
When you say subtle flavor is that the pineapple as well as coconut? The only pineapple wine I have had was very sweet and the pineapple flavor wasn’t really there. I thought it was bc it was so syrupy sweet. I wonder if pineapple is just subtle in wine no matter what ? Interesting following your progress !!
Have a good evening.

Hi Brigitte,
Both flavors seem to be much more subtle today. The pineapple is sweet but you really couldn't say it was pineapple without knowing it. Plus the coconut seems to be losing all flavor.

I might add some chunks of pineapple in secondary to bring the flavor out more but will wait and see were I am at later. The taste aren't watered down they are just blending and losing distinction. Kind of tropical but hard to say what. Then again it could be just me I don't have a very good taste since.

Hopefully once it ferments dry I will be able to see my way clear to know wht to do. Take care and have a good day.

Pineapple chunks in secondary sounds like a good idea to me. I have had some success with doing that with a pear wine that was flat. We added pineapple chunks. Let them sit for about a week. It helped give a zippiness to the pear bit I can’t say that I couldn’t actually identify pineapple flavor. Might should have left it on the pineapple longer ? Hmmmmmm
I always feel like every batch is an experiment lol

Day 9 sg 1.040 temp 77 degrees flavors blending together but with a soft coconut finish.

Brigitte I agree with you I feel like a mad scientist sometimes doing this. Especially since I am so new to it I never know what I am going to get. Pineaggle in secondary may be needed since both flavors are so soft. It still has that sunny taste to it and I really think the rum is going to help. In for a penny in for a pound.

Day 10 sg 1.034 temp 76 over ripe fruit smell to the must today. If yeast are sluggish tomorrow i will add some nutrients. I am unsure about the yeast I used not having used it before. All other yeast I used the primary would have been done by now. Thinking about racking to secondary tomorrow due to the smell I noticed today. Pineapple flavor back a little stronger today taste is still good coconut fading more.

Day 10 sg 1.034 temp 76 over ripe fruit smell to the must today. If yeast are sluggish tomorrow i will add some nutrients. I am unsure about the yeast I used not having used it before. All other yeast I used the primary would have been done by now. Thinking about racking to secondary tomorrow due to the smell I noticed today. Pineapple flavor back a little stronger today taste is still good coconut fading more.

Rc212 has a high nutrient demand, i add full dose of fermaid k, half at the beginning and half at 9 brix drop, and then a half dose of fermaid o at 1.02, its abv tolerance is only 14% so you might want to feed it some nutrients if you want this to go dry. Rc212 will give off an h2s smell when it gets stressed.

This looks interesting ,but WAAY! beyond my scope. Will have to try something like this when I get a lot more experience.

Semper Fi.

Rc212 has a high nutrient demand, i add full dose of fermaid k, half at the beginning and half at 9 brix drop, and then a half dose of fermaid o at 1.02, its abv tolerance is only 14% so you might want to feed it some nutrients if you want this to go dry. Rc212 will give off an h2s smell when it gets stressed.

Smok1 thanks for the information I will add nutrients now! God it's good having a place like this to go to. I don't know what I would do otherwise.

Donatelo, thank for replying, believe it or not but I have only been doing this since June. I spent most of the last two years in the hospital and got out and said "I want to make wine" then I went crazy. This forum and my own fevered mind is what is making try stuff like this. I just hope it works lol.

Hoyraaa

Good Evening. Interesting facts about the yeast. I will have to jot that info down. I have never added nutrient in stages. I need to read up on that.
Jasper ... at what S.G. will you rack to secondary?

Hi Brigitte if I can get it down to an sg of 1.020 I will rack it then. I added nutrients and energizer last night hopefully the yeast will pick up today.

Day 11 temp 74 sg 1.030 after adding nutrients last night the smell the yeast was producing seem to be gone. Hopefully now the yeast can kick in for the final stretch. I will Rack tomorrow to get the wine off the gross leas tomorrow and put in secondary

Day 12 sg 1.025 temp 75 degrees. Yeast seems to still be struggling I don't think this is going to ferment out dry even though I added nutrients. Racked to secondary and added bentonite. Yeast may still do some work but giving off a over ripe smell so I didn't chance it. Flavors are still good. Hopefully the added sugars left over will benefit me once I add the rum to fortify this. Still going for the pina colada taste. Fingers crossed

1. I think if you want it to ferment all the way to dry, you may need to make a yeast starter with EC-1118 and step feed the must to it. 1.020 is at about 12% ABV from where you started and that is the low end of what RC212 is good for.

2. Cmason1957. Thank you very much for your thoughts. I was wondering about starting a second yeast but didn't want to sound crazy for suggesting it . This is the last time I take someone's advice about yeast without researching it first I don't think the wine store guy knew what I was talking about when I asked for the yeast and they didn't have the stuff I did research.
I will start tomorrow with the yeast starter and hopefully the day after I can start feeding the must to it. I really want this dry so that I can do bench test with the rum and see if I will need to back sweeten it any. Once again thanks for all the advice.

Day 13 no measurements I did however get a yeast starter going with EC 1118. About half way though and looking good. Tomorrow I will start adding the must to it then pitch it into the carboy. Hopefully i can get this to ferment out dry so that I can then use the Pearson square to figure out how much rum to add to my wine. I still like my chances with this fingers crossed

Day 14 sg 1.030 temp 75 degrees I added the yeast starter I got going yesterday hopefully it will take off and finish the job.

Just got caught up on your wine. I have not been able to log in here for several days for some reason... how’s it going today?

Back