new question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conquistadude

Diabolical GENIUS!!!
Reaction score
When is it too late to add nutrient? I still have about 3-4 days before transfer to secondary.

I would think that it wouldn't necessarily hurt at any time during the primary fermentation.

How late are you thinking of adding nutrients to your batch?

Well I am not sure. I have been told by a lot of people that it is not truly needed, then others are like...WHAT!!! you didn't add it, sucks to be you. So I was thinking of getting some tomorrow. Unless it is not 100% needed and it will be fine if with out it.

There is a well documented regime that advocates staggered nutrient additions to a must. Initial, then @ one third sugar depletion, final @ two thirds depletion.
Seems to be a 'must' :rolleyes: with meads, not so clear from my readings with wines, still looking/learning on that front.
Provided your primary is still active, like TheTooth, don't think addition is going to hurt. FWIW.

Yeast do not only need sugar (as a source of energy) but also
need nutrients.
Most juices/musts do provide for some nutrients but
generally not enough.
So adding nutrients helps your yeast colony to stay healthy and
growing.

If no nutrients are available anymore the yeast may get stressed
and produce off-flavors and smells.

Best is to add some nutrients at the beginning and indeed
later on a bit more.

It would not hurt therefore to add at this moments some
nutrients as long as fermentation is still going.

Luc

Adding nutrients later on in the process is recommended but go slowly when adding...just a little at a time. I've experienced volcanic eruptions when doing this. It won't hurt anything but it sure can make a mess.

well the store I get supples was closed for the past 4days (yeah 4:mad:) because the owner went on vacation. So I was not able to get the Nutrient. And I believe today (need to check might be tomorrow) is the day for racking. It my wine going to be ok not have had added nutrient?

well the store I get supples was closed for the past 4days (yeah 4:mad:) because the owner went on vacation. So I was not able to get the Nutrient. And I believe today (need to check might be tomorrow) is the day for racking. It my wine going to be ok not have had added nutrient?

So, let me get this right........

By racking, are you referring to moving the ferment to secondary or racking it off the lees as it's finished fermenting?

Judging by the time span of the posts I'm presuming that you're moving it to secondary....... and no it shouldn't be too late, it's still fermenting so.......

Personally I'd probably get the nutrients and then only add half of the suggested amount. But mixed in a little water and then put it into the secondary and then syphon onto it....the idea being that any foaming would happen as it's being moved and not erupt all over the place. plus that'd mix it in just nicely without having to worry about oxidation etc...

Then just leave it to finish

yeah we added some. My Uncle just started a batch of Blueberry wine, and had some to spare all is good. thanks for all your help. :)

Back