New Product for Removing Labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran across an oddity today regarding removing labels. If you fill a bottle with hot tap water, and apply coconut oil to what remains of the label, and let sit for a few minutes. Add more if it dries out before you get back to it, and rub with a rag. Label and adhesive will both come off.
I wet the label, scrape it with a window scraper and follow up with a stainless steel scrubby with a bit of detergent and it does the job. BTW, any oil will remove the gunk if you put it on a dry surface - works just like Goo Gone.

You all are making this much more work than it needs to be.

Fill a kettle of water and boil it. Pour the boiling water into the bottle without letting the label get wet. Wait a while. The glue should be softened/melted and you should be able to peel the label off in one single intact piece. Use Goo-Gone to clean up any residual adhesive.

No scrubbing, no scraping, no dealing with a billion bits of wet paper fragments.

The few/rare bottles that use an adhesive that doesn't melt with this technique: just toss them into recycling and move onto the next bottle. It's not worth the extra effort.

You all are making this much more work than it needs to be.

Fill a kettle of water and boil it. Pour the boiling water into the bottle without letting the label get wet. Wait a while. The glue should be softened/melted and you should be able to peel the label off in one single intact piece. Use Goo-Gone to clean up any residual adhesive.

No scrubbing, no scraping, no dealing with a billion bits of wet paper fragments.

The few/rare bottles that use an adhesive that doesn't melt with this technique: just toss them into recycling and move onto the next bottle. It's not worth the extra effort.
BOILING WATER? Surely there's a risk of heat stress cracks.
I soak them and use a hob scraper across the bottle.

BOILING WATER? Surely there's a risk of heat stress cracks.

I forgot to mention that I use warm/hot-ish water from the tap first, then the boiling water.

I've done well over 100 bottles this way and have cracked exactly 0 of them.

I put a couple of tablespoons of water in the bottle. Put the bottle in the microwave on its side and zap it for 1 minute on high. Remove the bottle with a gloved hand, empty the hot water and pick up the corner of the label with a sharp knife point. The label generally peels right off with constant, gentle pulling. I use SoftScrub on a piece of Scotchbright to remove any remaining glue. This has become my go-to method of label removal after many years of soaking and scraping. I've never had a problem with bottles breaking or cracking.

I put a couple of tablespoons of water in the bottle. Put the bottle in the microwave on its side and zap it for 1 minute on high. Remove the bottle with a gloved hand, empty the hot water and pick up the corner of the label with a sharp knife point. The label generally peels right off with constant, gentle pulling. I use SoftScrub on a piece of Scotchbright to remove any remaining glue. This has become my go-to method of label removal after many years of soaking and scraping. I've never had a problem with bottles breaking or cracking.
This was my favorite method as well

I use a heat gun to warm the labels moving it continuously for about 5 seconds and they peel off easily due to warming the glue. I use acetone on rag or goo gone to remove any remaining glue on bottle. The acetone can be strong so a mask helps but goo gone is easy too. This works quick and efficiently and is cheap.

I use a heat gun to warm the labels moving it continuously for about 5 seconds and they peel off easily due to warming the glue. I use acetone on rag or goo gone to remove any remaining glue on bottle. The acetone can be strong so a mask helps but goo gone is easy too. This works quick and efficiently and is cheap.
Ugh no. A mask will not help with airborne acetone particulates, you need a respirator for that. You should never use acetone in small, confined spaces.

Back