WineXpert New pricing coming June 1 for WE kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richmke:

I'm pretty sure you're right. In fact, IIRC, Label Peelers advertised last year that their 'in store' prices weren't subject to the MAP rules on the LE Kits. They said just add the kit to your cart and choose in-store pickup and you'd see their price. I tried it, but it didn't work. ;) Maybe WE saw that and reprimanded them. :)

LP said that you can only get the in-store price in-store. What they are missing out on is: Giving discounts to phone in orders.

Roger, we have about a 40/35/25 Beer to Wine to Distilling supplies and a bit of cheese making supplies tossed in there. I think the MAP pricing on the Eclipse kits is a bit high ( higher than what we have them for sale now) we will most likely keep our in store price the same or raise it a bit ( got to have profit to stay in business) but follow the MAP pricing for on line, at least I know I will be the same as everyone else on them. As for MAP pricing, Vinemetrica, Blichmann and one of my distilling companys all have MAP pricing and we price their products as low as allowed. I have seen other LHBS sell wine kits as high as $200 and they say they sell them at that price:slp
In some ways I agree with you guys and on another hand I kinda like the MAP pricing.

Doug, I will always support a business's right (and need) to make a profit. When you lose money on a product, you can't make it up with volume. :s

It seems to me WE is dictating YOUR policies, not just theirs. I suspect you may see a drop in business from members here. I hope you will consider listing other manufacturers wine kits online, even if they are drop shipped. I want to continue to do business with you but I will not purchase any WE products due to their business practices (same reason I won't own an Apple product). Members here represent a very small percentage of the home wine making population but I like to think we have some influence on the market. I hope the market will prevail

We require safety every year and emissions every two. Plus the insane property taxes similar to Colorado. Its frustrating: you pay sales tax when you buy the car, then you have to pay a tax every year for the privilege of owning it. And that's on top of license and registration fees.

That's where we are headed and that is insane!!!

I truly honestly feel bad for you!!

I have to operate three cars...my wife and I run different work schedules and I have to licence my son's car...if I had to safety every year like you I could not afford to do so...

There was nothing in the announcement that I read that said WE was raising prices to the retailer. They are dictating where the retailer can price the product. Personally, I think WE is bowing to pressure from retailers who are "trying to make a killing rather than a living" to paraphrase one of our sponsors.

This only makes sense if we're talking brick n mortar LHBS pushing the manufacturer to keep the internet outlets from killing them on pricing... Is that it?

This only makes sense if we're talking brick n mortar LHBS pushing the manufacturer to keep the internet outlets from killing them on pricing... Is that it?

I believe that is the intent of MAP pricing in this case; however, many of us do not have an LHBS within reasonable driving distance. We are pretty much dependent upon internet stores. We might pay 20% less for an advertised price on the net but when shipping is included I would expect the total cost to be very in line with what an LHBS would charge.

There are several ways to comply with MAP pricing and still keep the product price within reason, After all, MAP only dictates "advertised price" so the retailer can sell at whatever price that will return a reasonable profit.

My last kit sold for about $59.00 (RJS Muscat GCI). I paid about $30.00 shipping so the kit actually cost me around $90.00. If that kit was MAP priced at, let's say, $120.00 the retailer could offer free shipping on that particular kit and still realize the same profit margin.

There are several ways to comply with MAP pricing and still keep the product price within reason, After all, MAP only dictates "advertised price" so the retailer can sell at whatever price that will return a reasonable profit.

This is at the heart of my question. What are the details and limitations being imposed under this particular MAP? It will be the determining factor for whether I bother with any WE or LD Carlson products in the future.

Apple, for example, is very aggressive. They do not allow retailers much, if any, flexibility on pricing online or in store. The same is starting to go for Nike products.

I express my displeasure with my dollars. I really like dealing with LP. They have good pricing and great service. But they only carry WE products. I don't want to hurt them, but I won't abide being gouged either.

Target is the perfect example on how to get around MAP pricing. They sell Apple products at MAP and then give you a "free" Target gift card. The more expensive the product the bigger the gift card.

Interesting thread. Up in the Great White North, I see no discounted prices from store to store. I can't even find an online WE retailer in Canada. WE used to have a corporate retail store in Port Coquitlam, BC, which I visited a couple of years ago, and the prices were the same as in Moose Jaw (burned in a fire) and Regina, Sk. My retailer does provide a "loyalty discount", so if I buy 10 eclipse kits, I get one free, but that's it. Occasionally, old stock or discontinued items get a 20-30% discount, but never on an eclipse kit that I've seen. I did get a deal on a couple of Selection Estate Series kits after the Eclipse version was out.
As it's about 80km (50miles) to my retailer, we plan to do other shopping and dining while there and purchase several kits to make the trip appear to be more economical.

Target is the perfect example on how to get around MAP pricing. They sell Apple products at MAP and then give you a "free" Target gift card. The more expensive the product the bigger the gift card.

Somehow, Best Buy gets around it as well. They aren't huge discounts, but they are very often cheaper than anyone for Apple. Plus, you get Reward Zone points.

From what I've noticed in my short wine making time is online price + shipping costs pretty much = LHBS retail... The folks at my not so LHBS also realize this...

Hey Scram, a lot of online retailers, such as here: http://morewinemaking.com/ will provide free shipping with minimum orders, it's $59 there at morewine/morebeer. There are times when online ordering must be done but I do try to support my LHBS as much as I can.

Thanks for the info... I absolutely agree with supporting local small business... my closest lhbs is over an hour away which really is a bummer. Even at that distance my purchases are about 50% lhbs 50% online...

Pricing

this last kit i bought was $163.00 and it was a super tuscan,now i know someone has bought it for less and maybe someone paid more,this is not my point.if you take all the kits i have done and it would be a large #,most would will be in medium to lower price ranges,do to the fact i tweak all my work, i've learned to make a high end kit out of a medium and a lower end kit into a medium range one, if you followed me you would see that ,although the quality of the base matters it's the structure of the wine that gives it, it's output.i do agree there getting out of the normal price range for the most of us and i feel that the manufactures will in the end feel the need to rethink their product. They have came a long way from the basic kit to kits with ,oak,grape fpac,raisins and the like they new they had to evolve and make better product and for the most part they have achieved that.i have talk to several wine and brew houses that i'm personal with and they to a store agree that the industry has gone flat,for that reason alone change has to come in some format it will take time.the vintners kits make a good bottle of wine if you work them and spagnols makes a nice kit some are at the high end and some are not,amazon on line wine kits are cheap at $45.00 with shipping if you have a premier account even without the shipping and little work these inexpensive kits make a decent bottle ,really not great but decent for about $1.62 per bottle . When available, THAT'S WHY I ALWAYS SAY think outside the box .

Last edited:
The last 22 gallons I made are from a concentrate vendor and also fresh juice. If they turn out as good as I think they might, I may not go back to kits. We will see.

Maybe spring for a really good kit every so often.

The last 22 gallons I made are from a concentrate vendor and also fresh juice. If they turn out as good as I think they might, I may not go back to kits. We will see.

Maybe spring for a really good kit every so often.

for a fair judgement, give them two years of aging. I found that my chilean did not come into their own until two years.

Back