Quantcast

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

kiljoy

Reaction score
Generally, when I come to this site, newer posts are in black bold. But not always. It seems kind of random. Sometime they are and sometimes not. Is this something on my part, or is there a setting somewhere in the site preferences?

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
you can click on "new posts" to see whats new.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
Generally, when I come to this site, newer posts are in black bold. But not always. It seems kind of random. Sometime they are and sometimes not. Is this something on my part, or is there a setting somewhere in the site preferences?
Are you saving the "cookies" from this site, or deleting them when you do routine maintenance? If you are noticing the highlight gone after running a cleaning of your system, it is most likely that deleting the cookies lost your pointers. On those occasions when the new messages are correctly highlighted, is that occurring between your cleaning operations?
Just a couple of random thoughts...........

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Im not sure what the deal is with these forum settings as sometimes Im on here for a few minutes and then all the sudden all the new topics are gone so I have to use todays posts which irritates me a bit. I have not been able to find this issue yet but Im no computer geek either so.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
Wade,
It doesn't say down in the copyright area, so can I ask what version of vBulletin you're running?

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
3.8.1 patch 1 I dont run the server though and dont know if hed be willing to upgrade to the latest version which is 3.8.4 patch 1. Im not very familiar with this forum softwar and run a few forums which each one is different so its very tuff on me to try and keep up with all this stuff.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
I'm don't really have a clue. I'm on one forum running 3.7.3 still, and another running 3.8.4. The 3.7.3 one has some issues. When you get an email notice, and click on the link, who knows where in the thread it's going to drop you! The 3.8.4 board had severe issues, but it turned out that was server over load. He ran his own server, and when he upgraded the problems were mostly resolved. He was up to 23.000 users...

kiljoy

Reaction score
I am not cleaning my cookies out. Wade described my problem exactly. It’s not that I’m specifically looking for all new posts, I just want to remember the ones I clicked on and looked at. I was on yesterday and the new posts were highlighted. They went away and came back again later. I actually considered cleaning out my cookies, but then I have to remember a bunch of passwords to other sites, etc. I do it once in a while of course.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
I am not cleaning my cookies out. Wade described my problem exactly. It’s not that I’m specifically looking for all new posts, I just want to remember the ones I clicked on and looked at. I was on yesterday and the new posts were highlighted. They went away and came back again later. I actually considered cleaning out my cookies, but then I have to remember a bunch of passwords to other sites, etc. I do it once in a while of course.
I would recommend you download CCleaner (freeware) to manage your cookies. You can tell it what to save (those preserving your passwords, etc., and flush the others. Running that program after every internet session will eliminate a lot of spyware, and keep your system fairly clean.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
I use CCleaner as part of my regular computer maintenace and really like it. I think it is a fine program.

smurfe

Reaction score
It's because you log in, out, then back it. Only posts that are new between your log in's are highlighted. If you log in and sit inactive while logged in for a period of time highlighted posts will go away as well.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
All this rarely bothers me. I only read the ones that sound interesting, anyway. :) :b

kiljoy

Reaction score
Hmmm, thanks Smurfe. I'll play around I typically just go to the site and am automatically logged in (via a cookie). I'll try actually hitting the log out button and see what happens. Not a big issue, just something I noticed.

Latest posts