New Member trying out country wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfadams4

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this website and wealth of information when it kept showing up on my Google searches. Wow, how did I not find this site years ago.
I've been making wine (some good, some bad) for many years with eastern Washington grapes. I've got an Oregon Chardonnay finishing up that's my first frozen bucket from Wine Grapes Direct. It's so easy not having to crush and press. Now I'm trying my hand at country wines like rhubarb and raspberry but I'm not used to adding sugar or decreasing acid (that's never been an issue with grapes from this area). I'm bumbling thru some 1 gallon trial batches (5 so far) to narrow down a good recipe. Thanks everyone for all the helpful information, it's really been great.

Welcome to WMT
My starting point was rhubarb, so yup acid is high. Your choice is to cut the juice with water which drops the grams per liter TA or back sweeten to balance the acids, ,,, or make blends of high pH and low pH juices. Reducing acid is hard since other acids don’t crystallize like tartaric in grape BUT if you use high malic acid fruits like rhubarb you could always run MLF.

Welcome to WMT. I can assure you you won't run out of support here. Can you tell us about the good wines you've made?

Latest posts

Back