New member seeking help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Huser

Reaction score
Hello-

I found this site doing research on Cranberry Wine. I've made it a few times and have not been happy with the end product. I received some great insight and hopefully developed a new recipe. Thanks for a great site.
Eric

Cranberry juice has a high Titratable Acidity. Last years berries tested at 3.16% TA/ 2.52 pH. For wine our goal is a TA from 0.5 to 0.8% and pH above 3.2 therefore to be drinkable most folks dilute with water. A few of us will reduce the acid by adding potassium carbonate or calcium carbonate. A third choice is to keep high acid/solids and back sweeten till it is drinkable, , but I wouldn’t encourage this. The big issue with cranberry is dealing with acid, even the yeast don’t like it
My favorite answer is to blend with higher pH/ lower TA juice as apple. I like the bitter notes cranberry contributes and the fruity notes coming from apple. My style is high solids (high fruity notes) and to ask what is missing that I could add from something.

You need to tell us what recipe you used and which traits you would like to fix.

Latest posts

Back