New member from Michigan, first post and question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to wine making and stumbled across it while on Instagram. I turned 50 this year and it seems like I am picking up new hobbies :)
I am in the process of my first batch, peach wine. I just currently racked to the secondary a week ago and I found that my airlock popped of. This also happened to me during the primary stage. What is the secret to keeping the bung in place? I really want to solve this issue before I try a new batch of wine.

Welcome to WMT!

What is your secondary container, and what is your batch size? I assume you are using a drilled stopper? The container may make a lot of difference in the answer, as the size of a drilled stopper will vary.

I am using a one gallon glass carboy jug, I purchased a wine making kit from amazon -

North Mountain Supply 1 Gallon Glass Fermenting Jug with Handle, 6.5 Rubber Stopper, 2-Piece Airlock, Black Plastic Lid - Set of 1

@angelasanders76, one of the first questions we get from beginners is, "is my wine OK?" Assuming that's in your mind, I'll set you at ease -- your wine is fine. It's just overly enthusiastic.

Did you ferment in a bucket or a jug, and what was the SG when you racked? If the wine is still actively fermenting, as @ratflinger pointed out, you need to allow additional space in the jug as it can easily overflow.

A #6.5 stopper seems a bit large for the jug -- I'd expect a #6 or possibly a #5.5, although it's impossible to judge by the picture on Amazon. It may be that you need to be a bit more forceful in seating the stopper.

In the picture, I see a screw cap. DO NOT apply the cap if the wine is actively fermenting or outgassing. While I'd expect the cap to give first, the jug is not rated for pressure and can explode if CO2 builds up too much. Stick with the stopper and an airlock and you are 100% safe.

In my sig is a link for MoreWine! manuals. Download the skim the white wine manual. Do not read it intently, as you'll be swamped in details. Skim it, then skim it again to understand the major concepts and the flow.

Good suggestions given above. I would add that it’s better to use a vodka or Everclear in your airlocks. I have a plastic 100 ml beaker, really a graduated cup, that is filled with 1/4” of Everclear. Once sanitized with my normal solution, I dip the bung in the Everclear to wet the surface of the bung. It will also sanitize but it changes the coefficient of friction such that the bung locks in place. When I used to use just the water based sanitizer the bungs would routinely walk out of the carboy. I ended up taping them in place sometimes.

Hello and welcome. What are you making next?

Latest posts

Back