New Member from Kentucky

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if you can sit on the bench and it supports your weight, then you know it can hold at least that much. A full 6 gallon carboy weighs probably 50 pounds maybe a little more. I don't know how much stuff you had piled up on it before, perhaps it was more than you let on
smiley1.gif

Far as a mat, a thick rubber welcome mat would be more than sufficient, and cost less than $20. You just don't want to put your precious carboy full of wine directly on the concrete. Imagine a grown man crying............ It could be you
smiley1.gif

If you have a 2x4 across the back and no support in the middle, you could always add another 2x4 across in the middle. You can get a fence bracket from Home DeLowes to tie it in on the wall side. Just screw it in on the opposite side and it would give you a heck of a lot more support.

345.jpg

I envision about 10+ carboys and primaries sitting on that bench before long.

Gotcha! Well, the bench will support my weight (and I am no small fella) however, I am going to some additional support just to be on the safe side.

Welcome Mat... can do!

Thanks!

We have hard tile floors and the sound of the carboys on it makes my skin crawl....glass against cement tiles isn't good...So I let my hubby do the carrying and lifting...

If I have to move one on my own across the floor I put it on a fluffy rug and pull it....

I wonder about the plastic Better Bottles and they seem to be well received.

Thats quite the room youre gonna have there, anything that could come between a glass carboy and the concrete will help. I have linoleum down in my wine making room and just that little bit of forgiveness saved me the other dat most likely when my back gave out lifting up 6 gallons. I didnt drop it very ard but am convinsed that just that softer cushion was the difference.

Thanks folks. Got it! Carboys good, Concrete floor bad!
smiley1.gif

Wade, sorry about your back. Lifting carboys cannot be good for that. Take care. I have a friend who brews beer and he was telling me about buying a backbrace to wear while lifting. I didn't think much about his comment until I saw your post.

OK... welcome mat, backbrace, and support for bench.

Oh, Merry Christmas!
smiley4.gif

Some of us are now buying vacuum pumps to pump the wine to another carboy or to degas or even filter them. By doing this we dont need to ever have to lift a full carboy again.

Gaudet,

No, not to daring. I am, as you might suspect, a boater so I am used to unexpected and escalating costs. I had not considered the weight issue but I am gaining an appreciation for that.

Wade,
I have been reading, here on the forum, about pumps and I intend to look into them more fully once I have mastered the fundamentals of this art. I really want to accomplish, in the short run, two goals. One is to make a wine that will not make people look like Popeye when they taste it. The second is related to the first... I want to make a wine that I will be proud to label "The Admiral's Best."

I really looked (read lurked)around at several forums before joining this one. I found the members and moderators of this forum to be very friendly, respectful of one another, and very knowledgable. So, I joined. I have not been disappointed. Thanks to all.

admiral said:
Gaudet,

No, not to daring. I am, as you might suspect, a boater so I am used to unexpected and escalating costs. I had not considered the weight issue but I am gaining an appreciation for that.

Wade,
I have been reading, here on the forum, about pumps and I intend to look into them more fully once I have mastered the fundamentals of this art. I really want to accomplish, in the short run, two goals. One is to make a wine that will not make people look like Popeye when they taste it. The second is related to the first... I want to make a wine that I will be proud to label "The Admiral's Best."

I really looked (read lurked)around at several forums before joining this one. I found the members and moderators of this forum to be very friendly, respectful of one another, and very knowledgable. So, I joined. I have not been disappointed. Thanks to all.

Well as a boat owner myself, you must remember that a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into....

I have not done any kits unless you count the kit I assisted a friend with. All of my wines have been from scratch, and so far I'm happy to say I haven't been disappointed. I figure I'll only get better with the knowledge that I am gaining from this place. Just let me know if you ever need any thing from a newbie perspective I'll be happy to chime in
smiley4.gif

Admiral, I am involved in 5 forums all together dealing with wine and beer and this 1 IMO is by far the best and most friendly so I hear you there. I come here 1st and when there is nothing left to add venture to others but sometimes get discouraged from those and dont post on them for awhile.

Latest posts

Back