New Member from Kentucky

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
admiral said:
Thanks to all of you for your welcomes and your answers. Now, let's see a "country wine"... what does George have in stock?

You can also get pure juices in concentrate or juice form from you rlocal stores. Wally World carries some things that can work. You just have to read you labels and make sure you don't have any preservatives besides ascorbic acid. Avoid products with potassium sorbate.

I don't know what grows wild in your neck of the woods, but when spring time comes down here in Louisiana we start out with Strawberries, then beginning in May the mulberries, blackberries, and blueberries, in the fall comes muscadines and right before winter comes the citrus.

You can also make your own juices from fresh fruit by pressing and then fermenting on the skins (ie peach, apple, pineapple, etc). Some of us have steam juicers. With that you can make your own fresh juice from just about anything. Check out this link for more info ---->http://www.finevinewines.com/wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6803

If making juices from frozen concentrate or store bought juices like Gaudet says, metabisulfite is okay just do not add any extra sulfites as you normally would when making wine. What to really stay away from is Benzoate or sorbate.

Welcome to the forum. My first kit has arrived and I will get in primary fermintation right after Christmas. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Appfan said:
Welcome to the forum. My first kit has arrived and I will get in primary fermintation right after Christmas. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Slacker
smiley1.gif

Thanks to Appleman, Gaudet, and Wade for the feedback.

Appfan, good luck on your kit. I will be watching for your progress reports.

Today, I will be clearing space in my basement storage room to use as a winery (it needed clearing anyway.) Positives for the space: 1. It is available. 2. It is largely undisturbed. 3. It is mostly dark. 4. It has a floor drain. Negatives: 1. Running water is not available (I can haul jugs to the area and as a last resort, the drain spigot for the hot water heater is near.) 2. It is relatively cool in this area despite the nearby furnace (no vents in the space.) Temps in winter are in mid 60's.

So, there is my work for today.

Sounds like you have the workings for an inner sanctum.................

You are right, gaudet! OK... enough coffee and morning paper by the fireside. To work!
smiley1.gif

Welcome Admiral! Please keep us posted on your progress with your first kit. And don't give up, because improvement comes with experience.

gaudet said:

Well its got a bow on it, and I risk harm from the lovely bride should I crack it open and start primary fermentation in the wee hours of the night...

I refuse to complain; Santa made the delivery
smiley20.gif

admiral, welcome to the Forum. Now get in that basement and start sprucing it up for those carboys!!
smiley36.gif

Good Morning All! Warmer here todayin Derby City than it was yesterday (23 vs 5). I worked for about 4 hours yesterday clearing the area I will use as a winery. (Jeesh, stuff sure accumulates over time. Why don't I throw stuff away?) I am not finished. I will clear out and rearrange more today. Then a good wash down to all surfaces (I have become conscious that I am preparing food in this area.)

But, before that, perhaps a cup (or two) of coffee. Have a good day all and thank you for the welcome messages and the encouragement.

Good morning Admiral,

How about some before and after shots of your freshly hatched winery when you have a chance. If you don't want to do any before shots, I would understand (from one pack rat to another)

Yeah, I was thinking about that but it is embarassing how junked up a part of your house can become if it is out of sight and out of mind. I will post pics after it becomes presentable.

Question 1: Temperature. The temperature in this space is 62 degrees this morning. Is this a problem for fermentation?

Question 2: I read that most of the folks on the forum bulk age their wines. I suppose that means racking from the secondary fermenter carboy to another carboy for aging. Is that right?

Thanks for the input.Edited by: admiral

admiral said:
Yeah, I was thinking about that but it is embarassing how junked up a part of your house can become if it is out of sight and out of mind. I will post pics after it becomes presentable.

Question 1: Temperature. The temperature in this space is 62 degrees this morning. Is this a problem for fermentation?

Question 2: I read that most of the folks on the forum bulk age their wines. I suppose that means racking from the secondary fermenter carboy to another carboy for aging. Is that right?

Thanks for the input.

The temp might be a little low, but that is also yeast strain dependent. I would check the yeast temp ranges at http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp

Yes to question #2. You would rack to another carboy* or back to your primary (temporarily), clean your carboy and sanitize, then rack back to your carboy

*after adding 1 tab campden per gallon or 1/4 tsp K-meta (pot-meta) to protect your wine from oxidation/nasties

Its recommended to add the campden every other racking, or every 3-4 months for continued protection from oxidation/nasties.

Northern Winos said:
Junked up????? Cluttered????
We all got that [except for Wade]

We'll still like you.

Thanks! I figured that I wasn't the only one. However, I still shower and shave (usually) before going out in public.
smiley36.gif

OK, I have finished scrubbing. Here is a picture of the space. I will post again when I am ready to start my first kit.
smiley1.gif

20081224_113002_P1020801_Small.JPG

Looks like its going to be a nice space. You might want to reinforce the bench, cause carboys multiply like rabbits. 50# rabbits that is......

Some rubber mats or carpet on the floor to cushion those rabbits too...........

Good points! I am looking for some sort of rubber mat. Do you think I need more than under the bench? Have you seen something that works real well? (and won't cost an arm and a leg. I am lookingfor another winekit.
smiley2.gif
Thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

Back