New member from illinois

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesecake

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am a new member from illinois. i have recently started brewing beer and wanted to learn about wines so i can make a wine for the holidays for next year.
And maybe a couple of wines a year.

Thanks

Hello Cheesecake and welcome to the forum. You certainly came to the right place to learn and converse as there are a lot of great folks on here that are experts both in beer and wine. What is the first wine you're making?

Im not sure yet.Thinking about a pinot noir. im still doing some research on the kits they sell. i also need to pick up a couple more carboys to make wine.

Hi and welcome.
Post often so that we can get to know you. Ask lots of questions. There is always someone around to help.

Howdy and welcome! What part of The Land of Lincoln you from? I am originally from Central Illinois (Shelbyville) but been in Louisiana about 10 years.

Thanks for the welcomes. im from Elgin (near schaumburg)
Im looking at the vintners reserve kits. how are those as far as quality?

If you drink red wine at all You will fond these smaller kits thin and lacking body. If you want an early drinker then these are the kits to buy but since you have plenty of time (you said next years holidays) then go witha good kit for that and maybe make an early drinker afterwards. If you really want to make a great Pinot Noir then an RJS E.P kit or Mosti All Juice.

Im not a big wine maker but the family is...I will Go with a bigger kit to start like you said then do a smaller one.

Whats a good sweet wine to make also if you have any recommendations

Thanks in advance

If you are looking for a fruity wine then the Mist style wines are great. My wifes friends love these and I enjoy some of them also especially in the summer on the deck but I bump up the lower abv that they have with about 3 lbs of sugar from 6-7 to around 10 abv. a FEW OF THEM ARE PRETTY SWEET WHILE OTHERS ARE NICE SO ASK AND MAYBE TASTE AS YOUR ADDING THE f-PAC TO THE KIT.

Im looking for a wine for my mother. She likes sweet wines so I am just trying to get a couple ideas of what i can make for her.

Thanks for the help im looking for the pinot noir kit that you recommended right now

EP if you ask me but the All Juice will produce a very nice Pinot Noir, if we were talking bigger red wines like Cabs or Merlots though I would not have said Mosti All juice kit. Thats where the RJS Winery Series, EP again or the Cellar Craft grape skin kits shine through brilliantly! When you are looking for a white wine the smaller kits do an ok job but even then the bigger kits are better but when it comes to red wines the smaller kits are not worth it in my opinion.

ok cool ill probably pick up the ep kit next week then and get that started then do a breezin kit to try too

Ive done many breezin kits and actually just ordered 4 more cause my wife has been handing them out like Halloween candy lately before telling me. I told her to stop that crap as these do cost us money. A few here and there is ok but this stuff aint free. I ordered Strawberry Riesling, Blueberry Shiraz, Green Apple Gewürztraminer, and Pomegranate Wildberry Zinfandel. IUll bump each one up to an abv of around 10 but that also requires a little more aging before they taste awesome. Some of these i know will require all the f-pack as they are mild in flavor which makes them very nice but some of them are very sweet so taking it easy and tasting during adding the f-pac is needed or you muightn over sweeten the wine beyond what you like. Ive done many of the Winexpert lits and only a few of thedse Orchard Breezin kits so Ill just have to do like you and taste and tip the sweetener until desired sweetness is reached.

I'll add that in the VR kits the whites and blush are ok. I can't recommed any of the reds though. I have been disapointed with almost every one I have made and used most of them for top off wines.

Latest posts

Back