New Maryland Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PHD.jpgauger 5.3.2020.jpg Yes a three point hitch , heavy duty PHD. We have used it for two seasons and dug about 1066 holes. We managed to break the guard off the top last year and bent the bolts (not the shear bolts). We sheared bolts on the 6 inch auger last winter. With that heavy clay we would still be digging the first 100 holes. We love it.
We also love our JD. Best investment ever made some 28 years ago.

when we established our vineyard we found the 12 in auger worked real well for vines and posts. we planted some vines using a shovel and some with the auger. those with the auger were healthier than those using the shovel. the deeper hole and loose dirt for the larger hole allows the grapes roots to penitrate the soil easier and get a good start.

Snowy delivery of the trellis equipment today. Intended to take delivery out back in the gravel turn around but it didn’t seem like the 44’ trailer could make it across our driveway culvert. Very tricky to navigate the delivery guys duelly around the snowy field. Shout out to my neighbor for saving the day with his little bobcat.
E231CCBD-D0FB-4CF7-9DAA-84189CD77125.jpeg
38F0165A-D899-4D73-B617-2707FC40D149.jpeg

In Maryland you have to get a pesticide applicator license to get most of the needed pesticides. I’ve got my test scheduled for April 12 and the license should be a few weeks after that.

I’m starting to worry because we are planing in about a month and I still have grass everywhere. I have been told it’s a good idea to use a burn down chemical in the rows a few weeks before planting to get rid of the grass.

any suggestions? I may just hit tractor supply and see what I can find.

How are you planting? Plowing, backhoe, auger?

I would suggest you wait to burn down with weed killer until after planting. Tales are told of people spraying weed killer, digging holes then having a huge rain that washed the weed killer into the holes.

I use glufosinate (Interline). AFTER planting and with grow tubes in place. I do spray while dormant without grow tubes, like right now. It burns out grass well. I won’t use glyphosate in the vineyard due to drift and killing all the way to the roots. Glufosinate just kills foliage.

I’m planning on using an auger for all the holes.
I picked up some RN18 (Glufosinate) and a 15 gallon sprayer from tractor supply. Then sprayed an 18” wide strip all the way up and down the rows. Hopefully that works. 4 weeks between now and digging the holes, so fingers crossed.

C71B3F76-A5C5-4B7B-96F4-8308653E6EA9.jpeg

We mowed close and used a 12 inch auger without clearing the grass. With our slope, we had to have some ground cover to prevent severe erosion.
Is that a County Line sprayer?

Fimco is what I’m looking at. I think they are better than County Line. I’m thinking of a 25 or 30 gallon.

Nice machine! I wish I had that, it's why my planting won't go nearly as fast. Does being smaller make it maneuver around the field better?

Latest posts

Back