New Maryland Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good. Do be careful; I’ve been out of commission for five weeks with a severe break-son’s motorcycle turned over while loading in the PU. I was in the bed of the PU then I was on the ground with a tibia plateau break and fibula break. Really put a damper on harvest.
You didn’t tell us it was a biking accident 😉. Hope your back in the vineyard soon.

You didn’t tell us it was a biking accident 😉. Hope your back in the vineyard soon.
It was a motorcycle accident and I wasn't even riding it. The goofy part is that I broke the same ankle 31 years ago carrying the same son (he was age 2).

I've been in the vineyard via a cart pulled behind the tractor and harvesting (VERY SLOWLY) with a walker and chair. I did find the leg brace is very handy for holding my clipper sheath and cell phone.

Anyway, aren't we always planning for next year? Dustyfj,; keep us up to date. I hear the closer spacing is better for vinifera. I have my new vinifera on 3/4, 3 feet between vines and 4 feet between the rows. I'll keep you posted on the results.

@Dustyfj looks great. My new
Vines have about the same amount of growth. I’m too busy to put up trellis now so I’ll be doing it next spring. The neighbor informed me he has a skid-steer mounted post hole digger and we could work something out with the farmland rental. So no manual digging for me!!

Im planning on building a small vineyard at my new home in Carroll county Maryland. I’ve got an area roughly 2.5 acres for planting. Ive previously posted here:
https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/looking-to-learn.71911/
I just got my soil results back from univ of Delaware. Very excited to move this project forward. Next step I suppose will be reaching out to the UMD extension office and the local grape grower association. pH 5.5 is too low. Try to get to 6.5

any advice based on these numbers?
View attachment 65817
View attachment 65818
Add phosphate rock, dolomite, trace elements and slow release potash (e.g. green sand). Your pH and potassium need to go up. Join the Maryland Grape growers Association

Last edited:
Pretty vines! I spent all of last summer chasing grape clusters on new vines… and still missed some. i don’t see any grow tubes in your pictures but that was where the majority of mine ended up. All you can do is get what you can…

Roughly 575 vines in the ground yesterday. Fun weekend of friends spending the night and partying. Fun was had by all. Starting to feel the stiffness set in.
View attachment 101074
😮 I feel good when I can get 50 plants done in a day! I assume you have an auger? I’m digging holes with a spade! I have 25 vines coming in next week.

Latest posts

Back