New Maryland Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grapevines can handle -6 Fahrenheit (i.e. -21 Celsius). If your Cabernet Franc are grafted maybe a bit lower. What are you growing and why?
No Cab here. I’m in Northern Wisconsin. I have all northern hybrids. Marquette, Petite Pearl, Frontenac, Itasca, and Brianna.

It’s not the low temps that bother me it’s the -12F to 45F in a week… and there is lots of winter left so we could be below zero again soon.

In central Maryland we were at 9 degrees a week ago and 74 on Friday. I was a little concerned about our cab franc because the buds got fuzzy and look like they swelled a bit. If we get another warm spell, we will probably prune to try and stunt them till temps go back down.
IMG_0556.jpeg
IMG_0557.jpeg

In central Maryland we were at 9 degrees a week ago and 74 on Friday. I was a little concerned about our cab franc because the buds got fuzzy and look like they swelled a bit. If we get another warm spell, we will probably prune to try and stunt them till temps go back down.
View attachment 109769
View attachment 109770
Have the same problem here in Southern Ohio. Last year was a warm late winter/spring, then we had a 22 degree night in late May. Lost all apples, plums, and pears as all the fruit had set already. Vines took a hard hit as well and I even had a couple that died. Zone here is supposed to be a 6A/B, but i only pick varieties that are 5 and colder. Tried grafted Cab Franc, but they all died over 3 years due to the unpredictable springs. They do not like to freeze after they bud out.

Last edited:
Back