New jersey winemakers talk

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Called Gino Pinto this morning and she said there will be no chilean grapes this year due to weather conditions...Corrados is sporatic at best and DiDonato and Europa don't get any spring grapes Im not sure what I'm going to do this year maybe just do some juice pails

Called Gino Pinto this morning and she said there will be no chilean grapes this year due to weather conditions...Corrados is sporatic at best and DiDonato and Europa don't get any spring grapes Im not sure what I'm going to do this year maybe just do some juice pails
But no South African as well, I don’t know what the story is with that. I think they are supplying their winery (bulk) customers, just not the home winemakers. I ordered grapes from Keystone in PA, is that an option for you?

Where is this place?
Keystone Homebrew in Monthomerville PA. They also had a second location in Bethlehem until recently. Place is massive. Really a fantastic LHBS. And they also next to a winery and much of the business overlaps. (equipment, lab testing refrigeration etc). and they bring in grapes and juice every fall and spring as well. Also have beer, and grape & fruit wines on tap to enjoy while you shop.

I’ve gotten grapes from Procacci in philly, Pintos in south jersey, Corrados up by NY, and for the 1st time last fall- at Keystone. They were great & customer support was top notch. I’ve also used them for lab tests, supplies, and equipment rental. I live directly in between pintos and keystone but currently i’m just a few min away on a job.
https://www.keystonehomebrew.com/87945E34-0D70-4D36-AC13-D63EC6B63683.jpeg

Keystone Homebrew in Monthomerville PA. They also had a second location in Bethlehem until recently. Place is massive. Really a fantastic LHBS. And they also next to a winery and much of the business overlaps. (equipment, lab testing refrigeration etc). and they bring in grapes and juice every fall and spring as well. Also have beer, and grape & fruit wines on tap to enjoy while you shop.

I’ve gotten grapes from Procacci in philly, Pintos in south jersey, Corrados up by NY, and for the 1st time last fall- at Keystone. They were great & customer support was top notch. I’ve also used them for lab tests, supplies, and equipment rental. I live directly in between pintos and keystone but currently i’m just a few min away on a job.
https://www.keystonehomebrew.com/View attachment 73459
WOW, it's exactly the same driving time to Gino's from my place. Thanks. I'll have to pay them a visit in the Fall.

Keystone's website is showing no Chilean grapes only juice. It's looking like a juice bucket spring.

I'm in south jersey, anyone interested in buying 6 5 and 3 gallon carboys?

Keystone's website is showing no Chilean grapes only juice. It's looking like a juice bucket spring.
yep. pintos has nothin. keystone apparently had such a limited supply available that all available grapes were snagged up over a month ago just confirmed. im just gonna sit this spring out and put all focus on the fall.

I don’t make enough at one time to sit this season out. I hope Keystone can fulfill the order I put in early last week. The order was confirmed and I haven’t heard otherwise. I only ordered 36lbs of Merlot (they didn’t have Cab Sav) since I just add that to a pail. A Merlot/Cab blend hopefully this spring.

I truly understand my fine vino friend, someday will open a bottle or two of wine and talk shop.
Till then be safe.

Selling some of my CARBOYS. 5,6 @ 3 GALLONS. JUST SCALING BACK PRODUCTION.
If interested pm.

Just went to Gino's today, got my bucket of South African semillon. They just came in yesterday afternoon- not all but luckily what I ordered came in. Doin a crazy rose with the semillon juice and skins from last fall's WA cab sauv I made

I just got a call from Keystone Homebrew that my Chilean grapes are in. They asked if I wanted them crushed or not, I didn’t realize that they offered that service. I’m only getting 36lbs to put in with my juice bucket so I’ll crush them by hand as I planned but that is great to know for the future. Maybe I can move into a grapes only batch next time (no juice pail). Just an FYI for others nearby.

I just got a call from Keystone Homebrew that my Chilean grapes are in. They asked if I wanted them crushed or not, I didn’t realize that they offered that service. I’m only getting 36lbs to put in with my juice bucket so I’ll crush them by hand as I planned but that is great to know for the future. Maybe I can move into a grapes only batch next time (no juice pail). Just an FYI for others nearby.
yea i utilized their crush/destem service last fall. also my 1st time getting keystone’s fruit. i’ve got my own machine similar size to theirs but i figured why not. wasn’t bad at all. they had a tent set up out back and you just supply whatever buckets/containers you are using and the employees do the rest.

the only negative was that there’s absolutely no sorting out MOG happening (material other than grapes). i spent a whole lot of time picking out leaves the following week. not a big deal though. was my choice to do it. i coulda left em and been fine. D5C35BC9-8641-4B67-999C-DFD7BA4FA62E.jpeg1DBE8CFB-EC2B-4A5E-B3EC-FCBA6A8AD39D.jpegC26673D8-711E-436D-A41C-BAE1920B2C09.jpegC406266C-2BDF-4AED-A8C8-318E14D16741.jpeg

Thanks for the info @Ajmassa. Food for thought... with my small quantities I’m pretty fussy about only grapes going in the vat. But when I think of big operations I know there’s all kind of stuff in with the grapes, so maybe I can be less fussy. I don’t have a press either, so if I get the grapes crushed, I’ll still be pressing by hand. We’ll see...

i wasn’t planning on any new wine this spring since chilean grapes were so scarce. went down the shore with my dad last week for a job. he’s in philly and i’m in jersey so we met at my house 1st. we took rt 206 to white horse pike. He liked the drive a lot and has used this route multiple times since then.

this also means he’s driving past gino pintos quite regularly now. you already know how this story ends.

currently ordering malo & nutrients online. 😁

Latest posts

Back