New jersey winemakers talk

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so im making the pilgrimage to pintos this weekend in anybody is around, we can wave to each other...
does anybody know if they carry malolactic cultures?....I looked thru the entire catalogue and didn't see it...

I just ordered 36lb lug of Barbera grapes from GP, and the price was $42. I am making a zinfandel/barbera blend using 6 gal pail of zinfandel and will only need about half of the grapes since I am limited to my 10 gallon brute. If anyone wants to have the extra grapes, maybe we can coordinate when we do the pickup.

I just ordered 36lb lug of Barbera grapes from GP, and the price was $42. I am making a zinfandel/barbera blend using 6 gal pail of zinfandel and will only need about half of the grapes since I am limited to my 10 gallon brute. If anyone wants to have the extra grapes, maybe we can coordinate when we do the pickup.
Bruh.... get a bigger can

100%!!
Or just use x2 6gal buckets if ya got em.
or actually the 10gal might still be big enough. 1 lug won’t produce a thick cap. Probably would make it. But “use less of the grapes” should never be an option!....ever!
Its not just the fermenter, 6 gallons of juice and 36 lbs of grapes will make an odd amount for aging as well, probably something like 8.5 gallons.. what do I do with that? Also, I hand crush and hand press, 18lbs is enough for me. Jeez, I was just trying to give them to someone who could use them..

Its not just the fermenter, 6 gallons of juice and 36 lbs of grapes will make an odd amount for aging as well, probably something like 8.5 gallons.. what do I do with that? Also, I hand crush and hand press, 18lbs is enough for me. Jeez, I was just trying to give them to someone who could use them..
We just are encouraging you to think outside the box as well as get you more wine....I would do this...
Take the lid from the brute, flip it over on the floor and put the bucket on it, let that ferment right in it's own bucket..it may spit over a bit, but that's why the lid is there...
Crushing the grapes I guess you ready planned out, just take the extra time...you also must have thought about the squeezing as well so ur good there....
Ferment in the brute, find a 5 gall Poland spring jug for the office cooler style or some of thos carlo rossi/gallon gallon jugs ...or if money isnt a big deal, get a 3 or 5 gallon better bottle when u get to pintos...
Just trying to help ya out more wine=true zen

I get it. Your trying to keep it simple and not into a thing with all sorts of new equipment. I feel you. Tho I still say your better off bleeding couple gal of juice- not grapes. Afterwards anything extra not fitting in the carboy just stick in some bottles till you rack off the lees. Then use the bottle wine to top it up. The can discard the rest of ya don’t want any fussing over the extra. Simply put- If ya gotta toss, toss some juice. Not the grapes.

It’s a thoughtful offer. Just looking at the logistics of it for 18lbs might end up going to waste and could be much better served improving your wine. That is, unless someone lives close by and could benefit from a half lug Barbera. (Btw sounds like a great blend. Zin juice w/ barbera grape 👌🏻)

I get it. Your trying to keep it simple and not into a thing with all sorts of new equipment. I feel you. Tho I still say your better off bleeding couple gal of juice- not grapes. Afterwards anything extra not fitting in the carboy just stick in some bottles till you rack off the lees. Then use the bottle wine to top it up. The can discard the rest of ya don’t want any fussing over the extra. Simply put- If ya gotta toss, toss some juice. Not the grapes.

It’s a thoughtful offer. Just looking at the logistics of it for 18lbs might end up going to waste and could be much better served improving your wine. That is, unless someone lives close by and could benefit from a half lug Barbera. (Btw sounds like a great blend. Zin juice w/ barbera grape 👌🏻)
Oh, believe me, if no one is interested, I will use more and figure something out for aging this quantity. Or get more juice and double the batch. It is the middle quantity that is difficult.

Oh, believe me, if no one is interested, I will use more and figure something out for aging this quantity. Or get more juice and double the batch. It is the middle quantity that is difficult.
Yea man having different sizes for the extra is a pain at first. When I started making more I realized this and would find reasons to justify it. Grabbed of cheap gallon jug Carlo Rossi wine few times. At grape pickup Id grab a 5L jug couple times. (Pintos carboys and jugs are crazy cheaper han anywhere else) And in Burlington county there’s this nasty local drink called Boost. Sold in 1/2 gal jugs. Got a couple of them over the years. Any odd sized bottles would save too 1500mL, 1L, 375mL Ball mason jars, etc.

Before I had some of that stuff was like a monkey f%#$ing a football tryna make it work sometimes.

Yea man having different sizes for the extra is a pain at first. When I started making more I realized this and would find reasons to justify it. Grabbed of cheap gallon jug Carlo Rossi wine few times. At grape pickup Id grab a 5L jug couple times. (Pintos carboys and jugs are crazy cheaper han anywhere else) And in Burlington county there’s this nasty local drink called Boost. Sold in 1/2 gal jugs. Got a couple of them over the years. Any odd sized bottles would save too 1500mL, 1L, 375mL Ball mason jars, etc.

Before I had some of that stuff was like a monkey f%#$ing a football tryna make it work sometimes.
Well, there are some empty growlers in the garage...

Making my first batch of wine in a couple weeks, hopefully for my partner's and mine celebration (next year? when will things be normalish again, sigh. but! plenty of time for aging). Moved to NJ during the pandemic but I grew up in the Pine Barrens so I guess I'm Jersey enough for this thread. I pass by Procacci bros on my way home from work few times a week but I'm excited to give GP's a try, good excuse to get to the Pines too. Unsure if will start with a white (easier?) or red (juice and a lug or two of grapes, I guess a lil harder). My bf has a lot of mead and cider making experience.

Back