New jersey winemakers talk

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up my cab juice pail and 1 lug of cab sav grapes today from GP. My pH was high and my TA was low (3.92 pH, 3 TA). I’d like to hear how you make out with your grapes. The grapes were nice - sweet, uniform size and ripeness.
I’m adding Tartaric acid today, I hope that fixes both problems. Starting with 2/3 of what I think I need and will test and readjust. I’m a newbie so this is a little scary.

Try starting with half, you may be surprised how far it will take you. And remember, when you are calculating how much tartaric to use, base the calculations upon your FINISHED VOLUME of wine, not your volume of must.

Got back a little while ago from Pinto's. 3+ hours each way going 75 mph most of the time and brother the tolls. Both the SA Cab and Chilean Pinot Noir were just over 19 brix. I can't fault them for that and haven't yet tested the ph. The brix was tested from squeezing one grape on the refractometer I'll blend a cluster up and take tests tomorrow. What bothered me though is the grapes were at best 58* when I got back. It was in the low 60's most of the trip and I had them wrapped in a concrete blanket with a pallet over top to secure and keep the sun from hitting them. I also bought a bucket of Chenin Blanc and a Riesling to make my trip a little more worthwhile and they were completely thawed. The Cab came in 2 weeks earlier than the Pinot and they told me they would keep them in the freezer so I only had to make one trip. I haven't checked the grapes that closely yet but I'm really disappointed with their storage protocol. When I went to S&S and CFP you almost needed a coat to go into the freezers. I was not hating life in short sleeves at Pinto's.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, Fred. I hope it ends up being worth the trip. Really wanted to make it for crush tomorrow, but the schedule is just too much.

Both the SA Cab and Chilean Pinot Noir were just over 19 brix. I can't fault them for that and haven't yet tested the ph. The brix was tested from squeezing one grape on the refractometer I'll blend a cluster up and take tests tomorrow. The Cab came in 2 weeks earlier than the Pinot

Really curious to hear how this turns out, BRIX is low for even Pinot if it’s accurate. 2 weeks is a long time to store grapes in a “cool” environment. Hoping for the best for you!

I picked up 14 boxes of Chilean Cab Sav Saturday at Pinto's the PH 3.31 and the brix was at 21 I crushed and let it sit overnight and pitched rc 212 this morning Im gonna let fermentation start going then co-inoculate vp 41 MLF and see how that goes.
We met Fred at Gino's its good to put a face to the name we exchanged some wine and drove back in the rain Im sure your grapes will be ok mine were also 58 degrees when we got back looked good with little to no raisened grapes in the bunch good luck Fred Ill let you how your barbera tastes its was good meeting you.

Well after crush and letting it sit overnight the brix on both is 21 and the ph of the pinot is 3.4 and the cab 3.7 which I'm going to let ride as it is. My friend recommended I not use sugar but red grape concentrate which I'm going to try. Each wine was divided into 4 batches with different yeasts. I'm going to take the pinot to 25 brix and the cab to 24. Considering all I said before the grapes were in pretty nice shape.

Well after crush and letting it sit overnight the brix on both is 21 and the ph of the pinot is 3.4 and the cab 3.7 which I'm going to let ride as it is. My friend recommended I not use sugar but red grape concentrate which I'm going to try. Each wine was divided into 4 batches with different yeasts. I'm going to take the pinot to 25 brix and the cab to 24. Considering all I said before the grapes were in pretty nice shape.

Why so high on a Pinot Noir? You’re up to something..........

I picked up 14 boxes of Chilean Cab Sav Saturday at Pinto's the PH 3.31 and the brix was at 21 I crushed and let it sit overnight and pitched rc 212 this morning Im gonna let fermentation start going then co-inoculate vp 41 MLF and see how that goes.
We met Fred at Gino's its good to put a face to the name we exchanged some wine and drove back in the rain Im sure your grapes will be ok mine were also 58 degrees when we got back looked good with little to no raisened grapes in the bunch good luck Fred Ill let you how your barbera tastes its was good meeting you.
Did you leave the brix or add sugar? I thought that 21 was low for a cab. I got a cab sav chilean juice pail and 1 box of grapes on Friday, similar brix but a high initial pH and low TA, so I guess that was the juice.
Fermenting away at this point...

I just let it ride as is I used rc 212 and co-inoculated with vp-41 mlf
Did you leave the brix or add sugar? I thought that 21 was low for a cab. I got a cab sav chilean juice pail and 1 box of grapes on Friday, similar brix but a high initial pH and low TA, so I guess that was the juice.

Why so high on a Pinot Noir? You’re up to something..........

Not me,

I am going to adjust it to 24 or 25 but waiting on my juice concentrate which will be tomorrow.

For what it's worth, as of memorial day Corrados still has no products from Chile or s. Africa...but in my spare time I've been locating suppliers in the nyc metro area...also have emailed the NY vineyard association, they will be giving me info on growers in the lower Hudson valley that will sell to home wine makers....havent as of yet contacted nj wine makers assoc for same info...
Have a list of 5 or 6 locations that sell grapes so far.
On a lighter note, my jeep spun a bearing which heralded my cars demise...picking up a Chevrolet Colorado tomorrow, more suitable for transporting grapes....

For what it's worth, as of memorial day Corrados still has no products from Chile or s. Africa...but in my spare time I've been locating suppliers in the nyc metro area...also have emailed the NY vineyard association, they will be giving me info on growers in the lower Hudson valley that will sell to home wine makers....havent as of yet contacted nj wine makers assoc for same info...
On a lighter note, my jeep spun a bearing which heralded my cars demise...picking up a Chevrolet Colorado tomorrow, more suitable for transporting grapes....

A similar thing happened to us in the VA/MD area. Our source closed and we were forced to look elsewhere. As it turned out there were many other sources we would never have looked at otherwise. Have fun with the truck although I've always been an F-150 guy.

Better news, due to the lack of Chilean...had plenty of time to work on some fruit wines...my strawberry patch has yielded about 50lbs so far, so I'm hoping to make about 15 gallon of strawberry wine this year. Will be bottling Tropical Daze (db varient)...and starting some more db as well.

Going to devote my resources to grapes in the fall...

This is the 2019 grape transport vehicle, pretty happy with it1559514273584270060773742906474.jpg

Try Gino Pinto. They are real professionals!

hey, if somebody can do me a favor and post a copy of an old order form from Pintos? Trying to budget for the fall...I know prices can vary on a wide range of things, but just trying to get a handle on the pricing

also trying to compile pound grape=gallons must= pressed volume..
I had scoured the forums and wrote everything on an old envelope, but my wife threw it out..

started over and came up with anywhere from 15.5-20 pound per gallon of wine
and a 32 gallon brute can handle 200 to 250 lb of crushed grapes while a 20 gall can handle 145???

I don't know if this is what your looking for but this is the price list from this spring.

Attachments

• Gino Pinto.pdf
    57.4 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back