New jersey winemakers talk

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck no I'm no eagles fan, actually I'm a New Orleans fan as weird as that is, if I had to pick a home team it would be the Jets.

I don't think my SG dropped as much as I wanted it to during fermentation (didn't get down to .995 where I would have liked) but when I tasted it the last time I racked it, it was ok still fizzy though. You think all the CO2 is out by now..7 months? I'm going to rack it again soon.

I think the next time I use fresh juice I am going to pitch my own yeast to hopefully control the outcome a little better. I'm interested to taste the WE Barolo, haven't tried it yet. The Zin and Cab-Merlot blend I made in 2014 are coming along nicely.

Hey guys! I've helped my father make wine in the garage in the past and am looking to take charge this year since he isn't so thrilled about doing it this year. I came across this thread through google and thought I'd join. I'm looking to hopefully buy some grapes and crush them over the weekend. Still doing some research into where to buy them. In the past we bought grapes shipped over from California but I'm thinking of trying some local grapes. Has anybody else crushed recently or planning to soon? Cheers!

Hey guys! I've helped my father make wine in the garage in the past and am looking to take charge this year since he isn't so thrilled about doing it this year. I came across this thread through google and thought I'd join. I'm looking to hopefully buy some grapes and crush them over the weekend. Still doing some research into where to buy them. In the past we bought grapes shipped over from California but I'm thinking of trying some local grapes. Has anybody else crushed recently or planning to soon? Cheers!

Welcome to the forum.

I usually purchase my grapes from Corrado's.

I was at Corrado's on Tuesday, they are winding down, so if you want to do it this fall you should go as soon as possible before they run out.

Thanks for the welcome and replies! I will buy this weekend and let you guys know from where!

I buy my grape from Corrado's in Clifton over the years. This September, I bought 10 cases and 6 gallons of white juice there. The Reds are in secondary fermentation and the white is clearing up and should be ready by Christmas to be bottled.

Welcome to the board and good luck making your wine.

I failed to mention Brewers Apprentice in Freehold. I purchase some of the last minute supplies there as they are closer for me than Clifton. They also have some great deals on brewing beer on the premises. You buy all the ingredients and they have the professional equipment (15 gallon steam jacketed) brew kettles for brewing and bottling. And temperature controlled fermentation. It comes out perfect. And they clean up so you don't mess up your kitchen. You have to try it sometime.

Hey guys! Thanks for all the help. I wound up picking up 5 cases of muscat from Corrado's. I had some friends that wanted to do white so I think we are just going to go with this experimental batch this year. I'm planning on crushing over the weekend and immediately separating the must from the juice. I'm then going to take the must, add honey and water, and try my hands at making a mead. I will keep you guys updated.

I got a total of about 12 gallons from roughly 210 lbs of grapes although the last two gallons are very murky. To tell you the truth the first 5 gallons came out quite clear but the next 7 not so much. I'm hoping everything settles down and they clear up. Have everything in the carboys now with just aluminum foil over them as they are still in primary fermentation.

I tried my hands at a mead with the remaining grape pomace and the addition of water, honey and sugar. I'm not very confident in it as in hindsight I used way too much water and not enough honey/sugar. I'm hoping there were enough sugars left in the pomace to help it out and give me something that can pass for a low alcohol mead. It is fermenting though and giving off a pleasant smell so fingers crossed! I'll update that process in the topic I created in the Mead subsection.

You can see how the first 5 came out clean but things got murky after that. I'm hoping with time it clears out but honestly don't remember it looking like that bad before.

Looking much better now. I racked and put the airlock tops on. Both are still active, especially the clearer on on the right. I'm a little concerned about the head space in the second one

20161022_223456.jpg

The head space is not really an issue while fermentation is active. Once fermentation is over, you should really top off with a similar wine (store-bought if need be).

Latest posts

Back