WineXpert New Island Mist in the lineup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up the peach Bellini and it’s almost done, smells great! Have to grab the mango as well I’m trying to do all the mist kits!

Didn't know about that one until now...

I've had good success with a few others (both WE and RJS) by tweaking them. I'll add sugar to boost the finished %ABV along with juice to balance and adding in some of the FPack into primary. I think the fruit I'll sometimes add - e.g. peaches to RJS Peach Perfection - helps a bit. I've not really liked them much but they've gone over big with many of my family and friends.

I made the mango mai tai last yr, very good and this year making the peach bellini also smells great. I have another mango mai tai I'll make this month. I boosted ABV to SG 1.085 on both by adding sugar and added 1/2 f pack in primary. These are a hit poolside in the summer.

bkisel, I do that with Island Mist kits also. I reduce water to make a 5-5 1/2 gal batch, 1/2 of the fpac and sugar to at least 1.075 SG. It ends up a stronger flavor, higher ABV and just a bit less sweet than the kit is designed for. If it still looks a little thin, I add a bit of glycerin for mouthfeel and legs. I'm going to have to try the Mango, it sounds wonderful!

bkisel, I do that with Island Mist kits also. I reduce water to make a 5-5 1/2 gal batch, 1/2 of the fpac and sugar to at least 1.075 SG. It ends up a stronger flavor, higher ABV and just a bit less sweet than the kit is designed for. If it still looks a little thin, I add a bit of glycerin for mouthfeel and legs. I'm going to have to try the Mango, it sounds wonderful!

When you use glicerin, I assume you add sorbate. I never used glicerin.

When you use glicerin, I assume you add sorbate. I never used glicerin.

Of course. The kit comes with sorbate and would have to be included to add the rest of the fpac anyway. The island Mist kits end up a little thin in my opinion. Addition of glicerin adds a little "body" in IMHO. Some look to this as cheating but I believe it just part of tweaking a cheaper wine kit. Have you ever tried glicerin before?

Of course. The kit comes with sorbate and would have to be included to add the rest of the fpac anyway. The island Mist kits end up a little thin in my opinion. Addition of glicerin adds a little "body" in IMHO. Some look to this as cheating but I believe it just part of tweaking a cheaper wine kit. Have you ever tried glicerin before?
Nope, and I'm considering it to add to a dry red wine made from grapes that may be a bit harsh and I don't want to tweak any longer to adjust acid/pH. So glicerin may be an option but I would need to add sorbate.

You shouldn't need to add sorbate, if you add glycerin. It doesn't have any sugar added to it, it just gives the sensation of being sweeter. I have used it a few times and never add sorbate.

Glycerin is a sugar alcohol derived from animal products, plants or petroleum.

Vegetable glycerin is the variant made from plant oils. It is said to have been accidentally discovered more than two centuries ago by heating a mixture of olive oil and lead monoxide.

But it only became economically and industrially significant in the late 1800s when it was first used to make dynamite.

Vegetable glycerin is made by heating triglyceride-rich vegetable fats — such as palm, soy and coconut oils — under pressure or together with a strong alkali, such as lye.

This causes the glycerin to split away from the fatty acids and mix together with water, forming an odorless, sweet-tasting, syrup-like liquid.​

I found that on another web site.

I've use glycerin in the pass as a thicking agent , just a reminder do a tasting as you go.
Just another tool in your tool box .

Nope, and I'm considering it to add to a dry red wine made from grapes that may be a bit harsh and I don't want to tweak any longer to adjust acid/pH. So glicerin may be an option but I would need to add sorbate.

I use glycerin in my wines. You should probably do your own bench testing. I found that 2 drops per ounce gave me what I was looking for. This turns out to be about 8 mL per gallon. I start out with half of that in my process.

Latest posts

Back