New Homestead Wines...construction of the winery :D

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bein_bein

Reaction score
So it's been about 2 years since I posted. Been busy with the new home construction (posted here), then construction of the pole barn last summer. This winter I started to focus on finishing the lower level, and more importantly the winery! :D I took the SE room of the lower level and split it two.
26698688382_867591e04d_z.jpg

One side will be my 'kitchen' to make the wine, the other side will be my tasting room. That's the room that I started with :D I can 'make' wine in a closet if I have to :D , but if helps if you have a nice place to really enjoy it!

Here's what I started with
40577242112_bcbc639de2_k.jpg

Split the room in two and added some more lighting...

I decided to go with a pallet wood wall on the dividing wall and one other small wall. I won't bore you with all the in-process pics, but I started in January and pretty much have the tasting room done with the exception of the barn style door that will separate two rooms. Here's where I am as of March 4th :D

Found a place on line where I can get a wall decal made, so eventually I will have a logo up on the wall that should look like this :D

Love the finish work! I’ve never seen a ceiling finished like that— with 1x3’s directly onto joists with large spacing to see through. Really dig it. Great work
Thanks! :D this is the second room we did like this except we did 2x4s on the other room. We have 9' ceilings downstairs and I want to keep that nice roomy feel, so drop ceilings are out and I didn't want to do drywall finish in case I have to add electrical wiring or audio wiring in the future. I like the semi'finished/industrial look that it gives.. :D
Here's the other room we did

Attachments

• GOPR1117.JPG
    GOPR1117.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 63
I really do like that a lot. I just might steal this idea for a project of my own. :)
Also the pallet walls are a fantastic look. I’ve seen them neat and perfect with urethane and also purposely rough/beat up/distressed and left bare- they always look great no matter what.
Whoever was making decisions has an eye that is right on par with mine. It all looks fantastic.

Looks nice. drop ceilig with black above gives a modern commercial look and allows for retro fitting changes latter. Your graphic would look awsome as a plasma cut with indirect lighting behind.

I really do like that a lot. I just might steal this idea for a project of my own. :)
Also the pallet walls are a fantastic look. I’ve seen them neat and perfect with urethane and also purposely rough/beat up/distressed and left bare- they always look great no matter what.
Whoever was making decisions has an eye that is right on par with mine. It all looks fantastic.

Thanks... The planning and overall layout would be me :D , I gave my wife free reign with the mix of colors on the pallet wall once we decided on the stains (I think there were about 7 in all, plus some clear sealer ) she did awesome with it. Steal away... that's why I post stuff :D

I'll post some links to videos I made of the construction of the house and polebarn, plus a tour of the finished upper level :D been a very busy two years

Time lapse of the house build -

Time lapse build of the polebarn -

And a tour of the house -
:D The short list of things I did on the construction:
All trim work (including making the trim from rough sawn cherry)
All electric, cabinet installation, kitchen/bathroom flooring, all painting/staining, finish plumbing, and stone work inside and outside... plus working 40hrs/wk... it's also been a looong two years...lol :cool:

Last edited:
I don't know what's more impressive: the finish work, or watching you hang those trusses by yourself - especially after nearly falling off the ladder.

Wow!
Just had a discussion last night about my bathroom layout. And the layout I was selling is the exact same layout of your bathroom.
Showed the Mrs your bathroom and got the “go-ahead”. (Just started my own 2 yr ‘on the side’ house renovation project)
Those videos are wild. One could argue Setting trusses is a 3 man job.
Everything is beautiful. But I gotta ask—Why? Why not bring in labor for this? Was it to prove a point? Having this project as your lasting legacy? Or are you just really really cheap? ;)
Honestly though this is impressive on many levels. I’m sending a private message to pick your brain some more on specific details.

Wow!
Just had a discussion last night about my bathroom layout. And the layout I was selling is the exact same layout of your bathroom.
Showed the Mrs your bathroom and got the “go-ahead”. (Just started my own 2 yr ‘on the side’ house renovation project)
Those videos are wild. One could argue Setting trusses is a 3 man job.
Everything is beautiful. But I gotta ask—Why? Why not bring in labor for this? Was it to prove a point? Having this project as your lasting legacy? Or are you just really really cheap? ;)
Honestly though this is impressive on many levels. I’m sending a private message to pick your brain some more on specific details.

Pretty much option #3 LOL This was supposed to be a downsize (both sq ft size and mortgage) for us. So for us to have the finished quality we wanted at a price we afford, I had to do as much of the work as possible. Plus I have seen homes around here take up to 9 month to build complete, and since we were renting a 600sq ft apartment with 2 border collies, I wanted to push this thing along as fast as possible :D The trim was more of a legacy thing as my father, who is in his eighties, provided the wood and helped me take it from rough sawn to completed. He has a saw mill and all the wood working tools to complete the process and has/had close to 3000' board feet of cherry :D I just have a hard time paying someone to do something I am capable of :D
Somewhere I have a video showing the trim production, if you weren't bored by the other vids, this one will do it fer sure! :D I'll post a link when I get it uploaded :D

Pretty much option #3 LOL This was supposed to be a downsize (both sq ft size and mortgage) for us. So for us to have the finished quality we wanted at a price we afford, I had to do as much of the work as possible. Plus I have seen homes around here take up to 9 month to build complete, and since we were renting a 600sq ft apartment with 2 border collies, I wanted to push this thing along as fast as possible :D The trim was more of a legacy thing as my father, who is in his eighties, provided the wood and helped me take it from rough sawn to completed. He has a saw mill and all the wood working tools to complete the process and has/had close to 3000' board feet of cherry :D I just have a hard time paying someone to do something I am capable of :D
:D

Dude, I can relate to 100% of that. And given the capabilities, you know there’s only 1 person to trust to get it done the way you want! (Really I just meant setting trusses alone earlier.)
For us to get the bigger sq ft we wanted in the uppity neighborhood SHE wanted, we just bought a very large beat up eye sore on a gorgeous block. With the plan to work me to an early grave, but leaving behind a gorgeous home customized to our taste and needs.
That’s a great anecdote about your father and milling the trim. My old man is also a carpenter sometimes offering a hand. But going back to ‘having things done the way you want’ I just give him some busy work and everyone wins.

Like the music, like the videos. You sure used a lot of trusses on that pole barn, must be a high snow load area. Here they truss it on every pole. I used metal trusses on mine. Really great work, like the interior finishes, too! Great choice on kitchen cabinets and the open feel is good. And PLENTY OF WINDOWS! Great! Love the door trim corners, YES!!! If I ever redo my trim, thats how I want it. Two years is moving right along for all that work!

(Really I just meant setting trusses alone earlier.)

For me, another factor is that I derive some enjoyment out of figuring out how to do some complicated thing as a one-man show. The desire to do it myself is primarily motivated by the factors already mentioned in this thread, but I also get a kick out of finding a clever way to do it alone. More or less exactly like the OP figuring out how to install that truss. Did you know that a lone wolf can: Build scaffolding 32' high? Put an 18' fascia board angled along the rake of a roof? Get 3/4" plywood sheets onto a two-story roof and align them with the eave with the correct overhang? Install 20' long 2x12s spanned across a garage from the outside?

I guess it's how you're raised. My dad wouldn't pay anyone for anything and being the oldest I was always the one to got stuck helping. I swore I would never be like that but low and behold I also find it difficult to pay someone for things I can do and do just as well.

I am with you here, too. Here is something I am trying to watch out for. My dad always did all his work himself; however, as he got older, he slowly became unable to do them. However, he told himself he would get around to it "some other time." Basically, he was not accustomed to hiring anyone, so he never did! The house was starting to accumulate a large backlog of maintenance items. Whenever I would go, I would spend all of my time fixing things (gladly and willingly), but I just wasn't able to get there enough to stay on top of everything. Now for myself, I am trying to learn to hire someone when needed, if only to "prepare myself" for when I will have to do so.

Latest posts

Back