New home, new rack.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My current project. New home means a new wine rack.

Will only hold max 60 cases so I will have to cut down a little on my current inventory.

Day 1 was me doing the layout, these are pics from day two. Got the base framing done and set, the corner cabinets made up and set, and I started on the diamond cubes.

At 8 feet tall, it is a nice space for a rack.IMG_20190424_130935792_HDR.jpg IMG_20190424_130934495_HDR.jpg

Well done, John. Have you officially left NJ and become a southerner?

Looking good!!!! What else do you have planned to finish it up?
I am putting individual cubbies against the left and right walls that should hold 16 cases. I should fit 16 cases in the corner cabinets, and I can fit 36 cases in the diamonds. A total of 68 cases or 816 bottles.

I plan on gifting a large portion of my wine to family, reducing my collection to about 1/3 of it's size.

My wife alloted me this closet, and this closet only for my wine. She had no idea that I could fit this much. Still, 68 cases is one heck of a step down.

There is still the problem of having varieties that do not number to 3 cases. For this, I plan on making dividers that can slide into the large, center cubes, cutting them in half.

IMG_20190426_164017.jpg IMG_20190426_163723.jpg IMG_20190426_163649.jpg IMG_20190426_164330.jpg I start by spending 30 minutes to build a jig. Holds the side walls of a row square and properly spaced.

Then I glue up and position the cross piece.

Had to make 20 of them and this is how I could do it in just a couple hours and have it perfect every time...

Nice wood work! Will that be enclosed so you can cool it down or left at room temp for those really short, cool Georgia Summers? LOL

The area is a below grade corner of the house, furthest from the furnace. It stays pretty cool there. I will have doors to seal it off though.

For very good reasons..

1) for air circulation behind the bottles,
2) the wall.was not perfectly level,
3) I can recess the bottles a bit more,
4) this was the only way to make the geometry work.
5) I could make more out of my material this way (8 feet)

(Only two of the above are the real.reasons)

Latest posts

Back