New Here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prvtdobyn30

Junior
Reaction score
My name is Brendan. I just am finishing off my last 2 bottles of a Fresh Apple Spiced Wine. Working on making the next batch.
I ended up with 2 half gallons of frozen watermelon juice, nearly 6lbs of frozen strawberries, and 4lbs of peaches. Would a combination of those work well for a wine? I have a new fast ferment kit i want to try with it.

Welcome to WMT, Brendan!

I am no expert, but I think those would go together well. However, be careful with watermelon juice. For reasons unknown to me, LOTS of people have reported spoiled batches of watermelon wine. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will chime in, or you can use the search function to see what I mean.

Welcome to wine making talk.

Watermelon has a pH close to 7.00-000 and a little TA. You should look at it as a filler/ water in a recipe as much as anything. Acid will be essential. What you are looking at making could be an alcoholic punch if you target third, third, third. If the rate is pushed stronger toward one fruit that could dominate. Watermelon is one of the wines which does best at low temps as 50-55F.

A lot of a portable winery (food truck) will revolve around the local liquor laws. Some laws are antique as when I lived in the Heights alcohol was not legal (per local charter from prohibition days), but a mile in any direction one could legally posses some. @hounddawg is in another dry area. The first step if you go that direction is to get the proper license for any municipality you do business in.
Good luck with the venture.

Welcome to wine making talk.

Watermelon has a pH close to 7.00-000 and a little TA. You should look at it as a filler/ water in a recipe as much as anything. Acid will be essential. What you are looking at making could be an alcoholic punch if you target third, third, third. If the rate is pushed stronger toward one fruit that could dominate. Watermelon is one of the wines which does best at low temps as 50-55F.

A lot of a portable winery (food truck) will revolve around the local liquor laws. Some laws are antique as when I lived in the Heights alcohol was not legal (per local charter from prohibition days), but a mile in any direction one could legally posses some. @hounddawg is in another dry area. The first step if you go that direction is to get the proper license for any municipality you do business in.
Good luck with the venture.
Man, i cant believe this, all my life alcohol (store bought) was around 50 miles one way, or threw tons of cops 35 miles the other, 1 case of beer and 1/2 gallon whiskey/wine, any above that you went to jail for bootlegging, everybody seen on tv,,,, ABC & ATF, you was gone if caught to prison you went, ,I'm 61 went with my brother to pickup a beef we had processed, 5 mile in each diction, liquor stores, 15 mile from my home a MARY JANE dispensary,, but the laws on the books has not been changed yet, shipping any wine is a felony,, oh and all are brand new, all still have red clay no shrubs or grass,, but open,, just starting landscaping but open,
@Rice_Guy , i gotta get out more, JEEZE
Dawg

My name is Brendan. I just am finishing off my last 2 bottles of a Fresh Apple Spiced Wine. Working on making the next batch.
I ended up with 2 half gallons of frozen watermelon juice, nearly 6lbs of frozen strawberries, and 4lbs of peaches. Would a combination of those work well for a wine? I have a new fast ferment kit i want to try with it.
yep, more n likely, as @Rice_Guy stated, for me, just me, watermelon and dandelion both suk as a drink, but both tend to eat very well. but that's me, yet lots of people like dandelion wine, the dandelion all of it is eatable if yore striving, the flowers are ok wilted in hot bacon grease, watermelon, I live more or less in the watermelon sweet spot, yeah yeah yeah,, i did say it.. SWEET AND ICE COLD,,,, SWEET TEA- SWEET WATERMELON- AND SWEET WINE,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back