New guy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeriatric

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Recently going back to study as a mature age student and purchased some wine kits to scratch an itch. I was a homebrewer and have made wine from grapes but not from kits. Was looking for information and people's experience with wine kits and came across this forum.

Cheers

Welcome to WMT! There’s a ton of great information here and the folks are very friendly. There are quite a few threads on kit making and tweaking, what were you looking for? Much of the process is similar to what you’re used to, except that there’s no crush and most kits are already balanced. It’s still a good idea to do all your measurements to know where you are in the process and what is going on with your must. Many of us have had great experience with Label Peelers Kits, there is a whole forum just on those where you can find a lot of good information about kits in general by comparison.

Welcome to WMT! There’s a ton of great information here and the folks are very friendly. There are quite a few threads on kit making and tweaking, what were you looking for? Much of the process is similar to what you’re used to, except that there’s no crush and most kits are already balanced. It’s still a good idea to do all your measurements to know where you are in the process and what is going on with your must. Many of us have had great experience with Label Peelers Kits, there is a whole forum just on those where you can find a lot of good information about kits in general by comparison.
Thanks, Im in Australia and I think I have only seen Winexpert and VineCo kits. Yeah, slowly acquiring lab gear. I don't think the missus would question a pH meter but might get sus if I brought a spectrophotometer. Always have been curious to see how good the kits have become but have always had access to grapes. Am interested in seeing how different people have been tweaking the kits to make better wine.

Cheers everyone. I'll throw a couple kits down to start tomorrow. I'm curious how they compare fresh fruit, missed the season this year but grapes are starting to get expensive.

I have no experience with VineCo, but have made a fair number of WE kits. IME the Reserve line is the best choice -- the Classic line produces wines more thin bodied than I prefer, and the Private Reserve are not enough better (if at all) than the Reserve line to justify the additional cost.

In general, kits flatten the quality curve. Generally speaking you'll get a decent to pretty good wine, but won't have the bombs or exceptional wines you can make from grapes. Kit may be the only source some folks can get, and the need for a crusher and press make grapes undoable for many.

Back