New guy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mat_ski

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m new to wine making, but I come from a family of winemakers and moonshiners (back in Poland). My father likes to remind me that as a kid I spoiled one of the bigger batches of wine he made by sticking a rusted wire during secondary fermentation.

I dived into the new hobby with a batch of merlot and a batch of raisin rice wine.

I really enjoy all the info I am finding here and hope to eventually be able to contribute.

Cheers!

Welcome to WMT!
You ruined a big batch of wine as a kid and your dad STILL talks about? Sounds like you're lucky to be alive. :D

Rice wine and sake are on my list but I'm falling behind. I may have to temporarily suspend my rule of no more than two wines in primary at a time.

Yes, Chicago.

Oh, I don’t know about that contribution part yet, but I’ll share the info I get and if it works out for me.

Get out while you can! This is an evil website that will suck you in and never let you go. Just look at @BigDaveK and all his madness - I think he only drank merlot when he joined!
Madness? Maybe a little.
@mat_ski you can make some very nice wines for a fraction of the store bought price. And if you want, you can make A LOT of nice wines for a fraction of store bought. I choose the latter.

What madness is this that you speak of? I have no such rule, NOR SHOULD YOU!

Unbelievable!

I thought you were serious about this hobby..
It may seem like madness but it's really not.
First, my primaries average 4-5 days so we're not talking about a lot of time.
Second, I'm spreading out the fun. And by slowing down just a little I should have fun for...well, there's no end in sight.

Question for you - I've been looking at bricks of yeast instead of the little packs. It would certainly be cheaper. Should I be concerned or am I just being frugal? :h

@mat_ski you picked a great hobby.

Second, I'm spreading out the fun. And by slowing down just a little I should have fun for...well, there's no end in sight.
I was, of course, just poking fun..

I too have a frugal side. I just did a $60 yeast order. I only got 50g packs because I got multiple kinds. Along with what is already in the fridge I should be good for QUITE a while.

I have some bakers yeast that I bought in bricks. likely 5 years old and they didn't have much life left when freshly opened a few months back. That's all I would use as a gauge. Can you use it before it's no longer viable? Then yes, get bricks!

Bakers yeast is about $6 a brick so no big loss for me. One of my next experiments is going to be to see how that works as yeast nutrient when boiled and added to musts.

If you are curious enough, and I know YOU are, there's not much fun to run out of.

I was, of course, just poking fun..

I too have a frugal side. I just did a $60 yeast order. I only got 50g packs because I got multiple kinds. Along with what is already in the fridge I should be good for QUITE a while.

I have some bakers yeast that I bought in bricks. likely 5 years old and they didn't have much life left when freshly opened a few months back. That's all I would use as a gauge. Can you use it before it's no longer viable? Then yes, get bricks!

Bakers yeast is about $6 a brick so no big loss for me. One of my next experiments is going to be to see how that works as yeast nutrient when boiled and added to musts.

If you are curious enough, and I know YOU are, there's not much fun to run out of.

Oh, gosh, I know. We're here to have fun and learn, aren't we!
Plus, I've come to expect some "poking" because of my choice of ingredients. I don't mind being one of the weird kids on the block - kind of like it actually.

My thought was to divide, vac seal, and freeze the yeast. Works for my breast yeast - bought a brick 7-8 years ago before I started doing sourdough.

So here's a mega super frugal idea - I've used a cup of must from active fermentations to restart 2 stuck fermentations. Why not use a cup to inoculate a new batch? Essentially a continuous fermentation. Seems to me it should work. (Yes, I'll test.)

Bonus mega super frugal idea - earlier in the year I made a test wine and added no yeast. Worked great! No control, though, since the wine yeast in the room was one or a combination of three that had been used.

The fun never stops.

Oh, gosh, I know. We're here to have fun and learn, aren't we!
Plus, I've come to expect some "poking" because of my choice of ingredients. I don't mind being one of the weird kids on the block - kind of like it actually.

My thought was to divide, vac seal, and freeze the yeast. Works for my breast yeast - bought a brick 7-8 years ago before I started doing sourdough.

So here's a mega super frugal idea - I've used a cup of must from active fermentations to restart 2 stuck fermentations. Why not use a cup to inoculate a new batch? Essentially a continuous fermentation. Seems to me it should work. (Yes, I'll test.)

Bonus mega super frugal idea - earlier in the year I made a test wine and added no yeast. Worked great! No control, though, since the wine yeast in the room was one or a combination of three that had been used.

The fun never stops.
If you are going back to back with your batches there is no reason that you couldn't just use your lees to start the next batch. Especially if it is just yeast and no fruit solids. I think you can wash them as well. Just add water and let the yeast settle before pouring it off. Do it a couple times and the last wine is rinsed away so there is no flavor transfer.

If'n a guy wants to get REAL frugal.

If you are going back to back with your batches there is no reason that you couldn't just use your lees to start the next batch. Especially if it is just yeast and no fruit solids. I think you can wash them as well. Just add water and let the yeast settle before pouring it off. Do it a couple times and the last wine is rinsed away so there is no flavor transfer.

If'n a guy wants to get REAL frugal.
Yes, I need to play with lees more.
Couple months back I used pear lees to start a weak wine, starting SG 1.050, to make vinegar. It's developing the biggest "mother" I've had so far. Tastes and smells great!

Years back folks on here said not to reuse your yeast more than a couple of times as it could develop an off flavor. Can not say for sure as I have not ever used them over a couple of times. Arne.

What madness is this that you speak of? I have no such rule, NOR SHOULD YOU!

Unbelievable!

I thought you were serious about this hobby..
So I had a dilemma....
Two wines in primary and my pears for a dessert wine thawed 2 days early. Oh, no! But my "no more than 2 in primary rule"!?!
Then I thought, "What would @vinny do?" (WWVD?)
Very quickly I had my answer!!!!
A dessert wine needs special attention - more fruit, step feeding, longer primary. It should be in a category by itself.
Then rationalizing kicked into high gear. I thought, "Well, vegetable wines are different. And berries. And flowers. And herbs....."
My NEW rule is absolutely positively no more than 2 wines in primary of a category. That translates into no more than 14 wines in primary at a time.....

.....until sub-categories become necessary.

So I had a dilemma....
Two wines in primary and my pears for a dessert wine thawed 2 days early. Oh, no! But my "no more than 2 in primary rule"!?!
Then I thought, "What would @vinny do?" (WWVD?)
Very quickly I had my answer!!!!
A dessert wine needs special attention - more fruit, step feeding, longer primary. It should be in a category by itself.
Then rationalizing kicked into high gear. I thought, "Well, vegetable wines are different. And berries. And flowers. And herbs....."
My NEW rule is absolutely positively no more than 2 wines in primary of a category. That translates into no more than 14 wines in primary at a time.....

.....until sub-categories become necessary.
Now that's the way a dedicated winemaker thinks!

Latest posts

Back