New Guy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaT

Junior
Reaction score
Hey folks, thanks for letting me into this site. Newbie here...not even sure if I'm doing this correctly! I'm new to winemaking...apparently I needed a hobby in retirement šŸ™ƒ. No room in the condo house to make my own so rely on the expertise of owner Marc @ Winexpert. Hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Does anyone have any experience adding alcohol to their wine just prior to bottling? I'd like to up the strength of one or two to try pairing with a good cigar.

Be we!! And stay safe.
Cheers
PapaT

Welcome aboard, @PapaT ! Glad to have you.

A number of us have experimented with "port-style" wines for one reason or another. Generally, this involves increasing ABV of a finished wine to ~20% or a bit more, and adding some sugar to provide balance. (True port is made by adding high-proof brandy during fermentation, which stops the fermentation, resulting in some residual sugar and higher alcohol. "Port-style" tries to replicate this.)

I like fortified wines and grow grapes to support this habit. You may want to do a little research on the different ways in which wine is fortified. As SG pointed out, port is typically fortified during fermentation typically when the wine as reached an ABV of maybe 8 - 9% (based on judgement). And yes, a very high proof brandy is applied (150 proof plus) is added to the tank (must) until the ABV reaches 18 - 20% (again, a judgement made on taste). Sherry, another fortified wine, is done in a different way, but you can search on each of these (and I believe you can find videos as well) to see how they are traditionally made. Types of fortified wines to research; port, sherry, madeira, marsala (to start with). There are several other types, and you'll find that each originates from a specific region of the world. I suggest trying a little of each, find one you like, research the process for it, and then try a batch. Folks also experiment with using different fortifying agents. I'm getting ready to try adding some high proof rum to see how that goes. Remember to make notes as you go so that you can learn from mistakes (as I do).

Welcome to WMT!
There is a version of ā€œwineryā€ common in Canada which will babysit your wine at their shop as well as provide carboys etc. A few of these are in the states. Hate to see you miss the fun of designing your own perfect flavor.

I have threatened to make some SP using 1/3 lime juice 2/3 lemon juice some orange zest and fortifying with tequila. Just haven't done it yet.
If anyone has attempted something
similar, weigh in. I don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Latest posts

Back