new guy with pineapple wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anyjuan

Junior
Reaction score
A few days ago I made pineapple wine from a very old and basic recipe. I only added water sugar, and yeast, and pineapple. that was 4 days ago. I just tested it and the hydrometer shows 1.020 ( way up at the top in the beer section) so I checked the alchol content , and its over 15% , my friend doesn't believe me so we checked his store bought bottle of wine which is 7.5% and got a reading of 7.5, anyway I just drank a cup full and feel tipsy. So my question is ,can I bottle it right now and go no farther ? This is delicious sweet wine with a good kick.I'm happy to stop and keep it exactly as it now is. My recipe says leave it 30 days , but why leave it longer when its perfect now?
What do I need to do to stop it fermenting right now? I still have bubbles coming from the airlock.
Another question is what if I bottle it in champaign special strong bottles and wire the plastic stopped in ,would it all gush out when opened ?

Your options to stop fermentation are:

1) Fortify - boost the alcohol level to kill the yeast. But, you like the wine the way it is, so that won't work.

2) Pasterize - heat it to kill the yeast.

3) Filter - however by the time you can accomplish that (precipitate out the larger solids so you can fine filter the rest), the wine will probably be done fermenting.

4) Killer dose of k-meta. Not sure how much it would take, but probably more than you would want to use.

BTW: How did you check the Alcohol level? The starting SG would have told you the potential, so you would have known going it that it was going to be high alcohol.

> but why leave it longer when its perfect now?

Because there is not much you can do at this point to stop it. You leave it to let it finish fermentation.

If you like it now, there is no reason not to drink it. However, bottling it now would not be advised.

> what if I bottle it in champaign special strong bottles

That won't stop fermentation. It only traps the CO2 from the continued fermentation so it is fizzy.

Thanks .I see no bubbles in my air lock this morning so I'm straining it and pouring it into a carboy for a day or two with the stuff that clears the sediment ,don't know what its called but the wine supply store will. Then I'm going to add water and yeast to the old must and as my book says ,start a "false wine" .Its cheaper as I don't need more pineapple ,just sugar .. This is cool experimenting like this .

Latest posts

Back