New Guy John

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there, I am pretty new to wine making. I have made a 5 gallon batch of blueberry that we just bottled, a 5 gallon batch of banana that is about 5 days out from bottling and I just started a 5 gallon batch of strawberry, peach, mango last night. Everything is going well so far and this website is very helpful you all are wells of info! Thank you so much! Coming to you from Nova Scotia, Canada
John

Welcome to the forum>

I've got an interest in knowing how your banana wine turns out. I made a 6 gallon batch, using 30 pounds of banana, and am not very happy with the taste. Please keep us updated.

Welcome to the forum>

I've got an interest in knowing how your banana wine turns out. I made a 6 gallon batch, using 30 pounds of banana, and am not very happy with the taste. Please keep us updated.

Not nearly enough bananas. I used 113 lbs and only got 11.5 gallons

Not nearly enough bananas. I used 113 lbs and only got 11.5 gallons

Wow! I would have never thought it'd take that much. Guess this will be both my first and last banana batch.

Just now thinking... Did you use/add any water?

I will keep you posted on how it turns out, had a little taste the other day and its pretty good a little light. It's almost like a dry white but with a slight banana taste but most of the banana flavor I find comes in as an after taste. I like it lol but like I said i'm pretty new, I used about 23lbs for a 5 gallon batch when I do it again I will add another fruit for body that way I don't lose so much banana flavor. Thank you everyone for the very warm welcome!

I will keep you posted on how it turns out, had a little taste the other day and its pretty good a little light. It's almost like a dry white but with a slight banana taste but most of the banana flavor I find comes in as an after taste. I like it lol but like I said i'm pretty new, I used about 23lbs for a 5 gallon batch when I do it again I will add another fruit for body that way I don't lose so much banana flavor. Thank you everyone for the very warm welcome!

So proportionately we used about the same amount of banana, ~ 5 pounds per gallon. Mine does seem to be improving a bit over time.

BTW, gave a bottle to my sister in law about a month back and for whatever reason she tried it as the base for a Pina Colada mix. I tried a couple of sips and thought it was actually pretty good.

Yes the banana flavor does hit the back of the throat.

Back