New guy in CT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skinard

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am pretty new to wine making, but I have been meandering through the forums here learning, so I need to extend my gratitude. Thank you for all of your unsolicited advice. It is greatly appreciated. I did my first kit over a year ago, and have done about 5 or 6 batches since. I am hooked. The sight of bubbles in an airlock is more satisfying than almost anything, and when I have nothing cooking I am anxious and need to get something going. I love wine, but I have a feeling that I will be giving alot of it away because I will never be able to keep up with my personal supply... Lately I have been going a bit beyond kits. I made a batch of Great Value (Walmart) white grape peach which only came out ok because I made a rookie mistake when I degassed. It overflowed and I lost a bunch over the top. It was like Mount St. Helens! The second mistake was adding water to make up for it. In the end it came out ok, but weak. Right now I have a batch of skeeter pee clarifying which is, so far, really good, and I want to make a batch of Dragon's Blood. Heck, I want to try everything. (Except I did see a post where someone mentioned turnip wine. Doesn't sound good, but who knows?) So far everything I have made I consider to be successful to varying degrees. My wife likes it all (so do I, but it always could be better), and I made a batch of Malbec that a few have said is the best wine they ever had. I never knew making wine could be so cheap, easy and satisfying! Can't wait for the next one!

skeeter.jpg

Welcome to WMT @Skinard , lots to learn here and plenty of good folks to help you along.

Your wine is looking good, you should consider getting it away from that open window, if that's where you keep it, the sunlight is not good for wine.

Welcome to WMT @Skinard , lots to learn here and plenty of good folks to help you along.

Your wine is looking good, you should consider getting it away from that open window, if that's where you keep it, the sunlight is not good for wine.
I just did that for the pic. Normally I keep it dark. Thanks though.

Welcome. Sounds like you are off to a very good start. I share your sentiment that no matter how full the shelves, it just doesn't feel right when the fermenter is empty. Love to see the bubbles and smell that wonderful yeasty fresh wine aroma. I have found this site to be extremely helpful.

Good luck.

Welcome

<--- Also in Connecticut.

So is geek, but beware of geek. o_O:D

Welcome to to the forum Steve! Very nice intro BTW.

What town in Ct are you from? I grew up summers in Oxford, CT starting in 1945. Moved to Southbury, from NYC, to become a full time resident in 1976. Left CT 3 years ago to move to PA. CT taxes on retirement income was/is brutal.

Thanks for the welcome. I currently live in Sterling, CT which is as far in eastern CT as one can get, about a mile from the RI line. I grew up in Enfield, and moved to eastern CT in the early 90's. Eastern CT is still pretty quiet compared to the other side... CT is a tough state to be in at any age these days. I've thought of moving too, but business and family keep us here, at least for now.

Steve

Latest posts

Back