New guy from Colorado Springs.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlegCS

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys, I live in Colorado Springs and got excited about fermentation about 3 months ago. I am as new as they get in fermenting drinks :)
Now, my wife likes everything organic so I cannot use sterilizers, nutrients etc. I hope there is a small "corner" in this forum where old fashioned methods are welcome.
You all have a great day.
Oleg.

Welcome to winemaking talk. You are making wines like you like them and can make them however you like. Throw some sugar, fruit and yeast in and away it goes. Will probably give you something to drink and drink sooner rather than later. Some of the chemicals will help it last longer, but there were millions of gallons of wine made before anybody ever thought about adding any chemicals. Good luck with your hobby. Arne.

Yes Arne, that's the idea.
I have two 1 gallon jars and tested very small batches of cherry and blueberry. Simple recipe: berries + sugar + 6 weeks and my wife loved it. Got four 0.375ml bottles out of each. Just sweet sipping wine.

Attachments

• img_20171223_130859.127.jpg
    img_20171223_130859.127.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 8
At least buy a hydrometer. They are less than $10 and you can use them to tell where your ferment is at, how much alcohol is in your wine and in general just let you know what the wine is doing. Bubbles don't tell, the hydrometer does. Arne. All you have to do with it is put it in the wine and it tells you what the specific gravity is. Sugar and water is high and as it ferments down, alcohol has a lower specific gravity. Just read how high it floats and it tells you.

At least buy a hydrometer. They are less than $10 and you can use them to tell where your ferment is at, how much alcohol is in your wine and in general just let you know what the wine is doing. Bubbles don't tell, the hydrometer does. Arne. All you have to do with it is put it in the wine and it tells you what the specific gravity is. Sugar and water is high and as it ferments down, alcohol has a lower specific gravity. Just read how high it floats and it tells you.

Thank you Arne, It looks like hydrometer is a must. Any suggestions which one is the best? Reasonable cost is important but not the deciding factor.

They run less than $10. I have one that has an all white scale and one that has different colors. The colored one is nicer to use, a bit easier to see where you are at. Arne.

Latest posts

Back