New Grower Needs Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellen M

EAmarone
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I inherited a bunch of clippings, now small vines from my grape growing enthusiast father. I've been trying to keep them alive this summer, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. I've encountered more bug problems than I had ever expected! First, there were tons of tent caterpillars that were destroying nearly all the leaves. I've been spraying them with a caterpillar specific insecticide and I think the problem is getting better.

The new issue is I have discovered some small (very small) dark bugs clustered on the ends of the leaf shoots. I don't know what they are and I'm not sure how to treat them. I tried dipping the ends in soapy water, which rinsed some off, but I don't think it's going to solve the problem. I sprayed the area with the same pesticide I used on the caterpillars, but I would love to know if anyone can tell me what these are and the proper way to deal with them.

I'm including a photo of one of the ends that came off when I was trying to wash off the bugs. If anyone can ID these guys, and tell me the best way to get rid of them, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Ellen

Attachments

• IMG_8356.JPG
    IMG_8356.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 25
So they are aphids? Thank you! I'm sorry, I'm such a novice I'm not sure what you mean - What is a duster and diatomaceous earth? How do I use that to treat them?

On Amazon you can buy inexpensive garden powder dusters. Also there you can buy a lb of Diatomaceous earth. It is a clay that is mined, composed of prehistoric diatom skeletons. The dust is microscopically razor sharp. Think of the little creatures crawling on broken glass after you apply it. Apply it during the day when it is dry, they will soon disappear. It is clay, so an organic cure.

Latest posts

Back