Finer Wine Kit New FWK line

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends upon how much body you want. I can see where a lighter wine would work well while sitting outside in the summer. I'm also sure that some just enjoy a lighter wine. Myself, I think a Tavola with no skins pack is too light, but YMMV. I probably won't be trying them, but it's good to see FWK expanding their potential customer base by adding product that has obviously been requested.

I agree with @ratflinger -- there's a lot of variation in tastes. I have made 2 Tavola no-skins (Barbera, Pinot Noir) and like them for what they are. The Pinot Noir is a great turkey wine, lot of fruit and enough body to stand up to roast turkey without overpowering it.

My first thought regarding the Novello line was "why?", but it's making sense to me. It's probably a great kit for a beginner who wants to taste their wine ASAP (which is every beginner!), it's likely a good choice for a lighter wine, and not everyone enjoys a Forte.

Besides, I can't blame FWK for wanting to corner every segment of the kit market. ;)

In looking through the current WE and RJS lineup, I see FWK is making it easier to choose a kit, based upon style and likes. I've had people ask my opinion on kits to purchase, and it takes a full reading through the WE & RJS descriptions to give advice. I just looked through the FWK kits in 5 minutes (yeah, most are out of stock due to the recent sale), but I feel more confident in giving advice to meet someone's needs. YMMV

I'm new, so please be gentle :)

Pretty sure LP knows their market. I'm into heavy dark ports and traditional wines, some experimental too. However, I'm going to try out a couple of these new 'instant session wines' for giggles. Cheaper, fast, fills a Spring/Summer niche, more customer potential, fills manufacturing seasonal lulls (guessing as most folks I know don't make wine in the Spring/Fall), and is new :) Who doesn't like new?

Yep, I'm biased, I'm a happy LP customer.

I think that a lot of the members here make wine year-round. On average I have 12 kits going all the time, in various stages of course.

Without knowing about this forum's membership, I'll go with a huge lull in spring and summer months for the average kit consumer.
as for future products, Dolcetto cause it sounds so Italiano and heavy dark.

I think that a lot of the members here make wine year-round. On average I have 12 kits going all the time, in various stages of course.
I am definitely all year, and getting up to that point as well. Seems like a logical way to ensure that there is a bottle available any... or everyday a fella wants.

I'm new, so please be gentle
This forum is very beginner and newcomer friendly.

Without knowing about this forum's membership, I'll go with a huge lull in spring and summer months for the average kit consumer.
Our membership is very diverse. We have grape-only who make in the fall, grape-only who also do Southern Hemisphere grapes in the spring, kit only, fruit only, and those who make any and everything.

If you want to try something new, post a question in the appropriate forum. Someone has either done it already or they'll hunt down resources. We have discussions on every winemaking topic you can imagine, and probably some you haven't. I learn something new every week.

I'm glad to hear about this line and appreciate hearing everyone's insight. The idea of a quicker drinking red to have while others mature appeals to me.

So many grapes/wines from all over the world. I often think in the northern hemisphere, particularly where some or most of the FWK is sourced and sold.

Last edited:
So many grapes/wines from all over the world, often think just in the northern focus particularly with where most of the FWK is sourced and sold.
The largest portion of our membership is in North America, with the next largest segment in Europe, although all areas except Antarctica are represented. The bummer for our Canadian friends is they cannot get FWK. I spoke with Matt P, and the problem is what I expected -- since the kits are unpasteurized and shipped cold, getting them through customs on a timely basis is a serious problem. To service Canada (or Europe) he'd have to open a center in either area.

Here is an interesting question: A fair number of folks on the east coast USA get South African and South American grapes in the spring (from the northern hemisphere POV). Does anyone south of the equator import northern hemisphere grapes?

Anyone know what the juice volume specs are for Forte vs Tavola vs Novello?

Cheers!

The largest portion of our membership is in North America, with the next largest segment in Europe, although all areas except Antarctica are represented. The bummer for our Canadian friends is they cannot get FWK. I spoke with Matt P, and the problem is what I expected -- since the kits are unpasteurized and shipped cold, getting them through customs on a timely basis is a serious problem. To service Canada (or Europe) he'd have to open a center in either area.

Here is an interesting question: A fair number of folks on the east coast USA get South African and South American grapes in the spring (from the northern hemisphere POV). Does anyone south of the equator import northern hemisphere grapes?
I’m not aware of any specific wine grape varietals being imported into NZ. And I'd imagine Aust is in the same camp. NZ and Australia are awash with grapes although it’s bloody hard to get access to them from most growers as they see the home vintner as a competitive threat. Also the cost of shipping and regulatory border controls would pump the price.

I’m not aware of any specific wine grape varietals being imported into NZ. And I'd imagine Aust is in the same camp. NZ and Australia are awash with grapes although it’s bloody hard to get access to them from most growers as they see the home vintner as a competitive threat. Also the cost of shipping and regulatory border controls would pump the price.
That makes sense. Funny, but I can get California grapes easier than I can get North Carolina grapes. When I think about it, I can get grapes from the southern hemisphere easier. Note -- this excludes native east coast USA grapes (Muscadine and Scuppernong), which I don't care for.

Latest posts

Back