Finer Wine Kit New Fruttas!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious what variety(s) of cherries are used in the Cheri? Hmmmm....

I started Frutta Black Current per instruction but I boosted SG to 1.108. The kit comes with a pack Y, bentonite but it is never mentioned when and how to use it and I got the detailed instruction.

The big difference between Frutta and fruit flavored kits from other vendors is the Frutta are not fruit flavored -- they're fruit. An Island Mist kit is a low-end wine with added fruit flavoring.

@winemaker81, I am not so sure about that..,I know from chatting with Matteo that they use grape blends in there. Perhaps some fruit and "fruit flavoring" or concentrate as well. Point being that they are for sure not 100% fruit concentrate.

@winemaker81, I am not so sure about that..,I know from chatting with Matteo that they use grape blends in there. Perhaps some fruit and "fruit flavoring" or concentrate as well. Point being that they are for sure not 100% fruit concentrate.
Thanks for the correction. That explains the color on the Strawberry.

Regardless of what's in there, I'm please with the result of the Blackberry and Strawberry.

Looks like grape juice with flavorings - no juice at all.
I've made Island Mist and similar kits -- the Frutta are head-and-shoulders above that.

The aroma is rich strawberry, the color is surprisingly dark, and the body matches the color. I've made strawberry a few times, and had those made by others. This is far better. If it's a grape wine with strawberry, I'm ok with that, as the result is spectacular.

FWK Strawberry.jpg

Last edited:
Black Currant has an amazing aroma as well. Pitched yeast yesterday. It’s already fermenting

Do me a favor and keep us posted on the black currant. I placed an order with LP yesterday but it did NOT include the black currant which was on sale and now I'm kicking myself a little this morning. Your kit came with two conditioners and I wonder what your thoughts will be on the wine at back sweetening time. I used 2 ⅓ conditioners on the blackberry but we like the wines a little sweeter.

Absolutely. Can’t wait to taste it. I have high hopes but I never used the prepacked sweetener so it’s going to be interesting.

Absolutely. Can’t wait to taste it. I have high hopes but I never used the prepacked sweetener so it’s going to be interesting.
AFAIK, it's sugar syrup with a small amount of sorbate. I don't normally use 'em, but they came with the kits. I'm enjoying the Strawberry, so it did its intended job.

I don't know about the others, but you need plenty of headspace for the Cherry, especially on the day you toss the yeast nutrients. I was using my emergency 10 gal fermenter and I'm glad I did. Think I'll rename the emergency fermenter to the Fruitta fermenter. It's coming along nicely, plenty of activity.

If I only read your post an hour earlier. I added the 2nd pack of nutrients and the bucket overflowed. I lost only maybe 10oz but I was in a panic mode. The instruction should warn us about it.

I don't know about the others, but you need plenty of headspace for the Cherry, especially on the day you toss the yeast nutrients. I was using my emergency 10 gal fermenter and I'm glad I did. Think I'll rename the emergency fermenter to the Fruitta fermenter. It's coming along nicely, plenty of activity.
Did you "dump" the nutrient in? If so, next time sprinkle it gently, stopping if the wine foams up too much, then resume when it subsides. I've had it happen in other wines, so any time I'm adding anything to an active fermentation, I go gentle.

Assuming the Fruttas in general are early drinkers? Have not made one although I always need something slightly sweeter for summertime evenings on the dock at the cabin. Normally Skeeter Pee but thinking of trying something new and worried a bit late for this year if I go for a minimum 6 month aging.

Assuming the Fruttas in general are early drinkers? Have not made one although I always need something slightly sweeter for summertime evenings on the dock at the cabin. Normally Skeeter Pee but thinking of trying something new and worried a bit late for this year if I go for a minimum 6 month aging.
I bottled mine at 4 months, and it was good a month later (I always wait at least a month after bottling). Both have improved since bottling in October.

Did you "dump" the nutrient in? If so, next time sprinkle it gently, stopping if the wine foams up too much, then resume when it subsides. I've had it happen in other wines, so any time I'm adding anything to an active fermentation, I go gentle.
It's generally when I stir it up after the addition. I'm a fan of stirring, I'm not excessive, but I do stir through about day 4.

I did dumped it all and then it was too late. It’s not the first time I was adding nutrients to active fermentation but never to a kit and it never reacted the way it did

Latest posts

Back