WineXpert New Forza Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad to hear this. I bottled this a couple months ago after a year in the carboy. Tasted ok, but had a funny orange color to it. Will wait patiently on this one. Good thing I have lots of other wine to drink in the meantime

It’s wonderful. Took roughly 18 months before we started to enjoy this one. It’s now a crowd favorite.

Last edited:
Just caught this thread bump. I’ve been gone from the board a little while. I started this thread / kit as an annual bottle opener to celebrate the birthday of our first grandson who was born a few days later. About to open bottle number 2 in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it! (Also wondering how long it will stay “good” as it ages.

I pulled the trigger and ordered a Forza kit. Will likely start it when we move in to the new house.

I tend to agree on timing, let these sit undisturbed for 18-24 months for better results. This wine will improve over the year after that, maybe longer. But, you can count on this wine staying "good" for years after that.

Opened the latest bottle. It is sooo much better at 2 years! Lots of licorice and vanilla notes for me. Really enjoyed it.

Btw when I say how many years, we are opening 1 bottle a year on his birthday. Wondering if I can get it to his 21st birthday... I visited Faustino in Rioja years ago and they swap out corks every 5 years and have bottles that are 40+ years old. Might try that.

Can anyone compare how this one compares to the LE? I did the LE and as jgmann67 mentioned, it was simply outstanding, especially after about 2 years.

I kicked this one off last week. The initial SG for the Forza was around 1.080. But, I dropped the skins and left it alone for 24 hours. Revisited the must before bed the next day and was pleased to see 1.095+.

Time to go. Dropped the RC212 yeast and the wine was chugging away in no time at all.

We’re moving in three weeks. So, I’ll need to consider how I’m going to transport this wine-in-progress to the new house.

Big question: Do the EM and just transport in the Fermonster; let it on the skins for three more weeks and rack; or just rack when it hits 0.990?

I kicked this one off last week. The initial SG for the Forza was around 1.080. But, I dropped the skins and left it alone for 24 hours. Revisited the must before bed the next day and was pleased to see 1.095+.

Time to go. Dropped the RC212 yeast and the wine was chugging away in no time at all.

We’re moving in three weeks. So, I’ll need to consider how I’m going to transport this wine-in-progress to the new house.

Big question: Do the EM and just transport in the Fermonster; let it on the skins for three more weeks and rack; or just rack when it hits 0.990?
Fermonster, or three week EM.

Definitely let the EM complete. The only reason not to would be if you're worried about oxygen exposure during transport somehow.

I made this now and had a short EM. It took 21 days to get down to 0.995 in the bucket. I use a bubbler on the bucket lid. Pressure all the time so not worried for oxidising. When racking and stabilizing, I took a taste. The aroma was a little odd. More like coffee and a touch of stable. Almost no grapey aroma. Should I be worried for brett? Never had it before but can never know. How will you describe the aroma and taste of the Forza just before ageing on carboy? Appreciate any answers.

I did the Forza kit so long ago and didn't keep notes of the taste at that point. But, it doesn't really sound like anything I would be worried about at this point. If you are really concerned, keep the bucket and carboys, anything you used seperate, so you can remove them from your use, if it ends up bad.

I remember thinking this had a funky, odd taste when bottling at one year old. I opened one last weekend and even now, after only several more months in the bottle, I'm starting to see what this may taste like, and it's good. It's not ready yet, but I can tell with tile it will be great.

I did the Forza kit so long ago and didn't keep notes of the taste at that point. But, it doesn't really sound like anything I would be worried about at this point. If you are really concerned, keep the bucket and carboys, anything you used seperate, so you can remove them from your use, if it ends up bad.
Thanks. Yes, if it ends bad I will keep the used equipment away from other and clean and give it some boiled water too. Like you I think it probably not is brett, but the aroma was the worst i have had on a kit. Would be interesting to hear if others remember how the aroma was at that point and if it was similar or really different than mine. The taste was better than the aroma, and the color like dark brick (brown-red). Think the color is right for this type of wine.

I remember thinking this had a funky, odd taste when bottling at one year old. I opened one last weekend and even now, after only several more months in the bottle, I'm starting to see what this may taste like, and it's good. It's not ready yet, but I can tell with tile it will be great.
Do you normally enjoy your wines with tile?

Thanks. Nice..from funky, odd taste to almost great after a year gives hope for a good result at the end. Did you do some EM?

Back