New Fermenter Need....7.9 or 10 gallon Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Reaction score
On what should be an easy decision, I'm stumped.

I would like to have a second fermenter but I am at a loss as to which one, the 7.9 gallons or the 10 gallons?

My history of wine making consists of 6-gallon wine kits or 6-gallon juice buckets fermented one after the other into secondary/aging carboys. I'm running out of Carboys too! At any rate, I would like to make two consecutive ferments at one time and am limited to my single 7.9-gallon fermenter. This will really become an issue in the spring when I will receive my planned 6-gallon Chilean Malbec and 6-gallon Australian Shiraz juices.

The 10 gallon is well, bigger in the event I try to ferment from grapes next year...that'd be nice. Or, if I stick with juice/kits the 7.9 gallon has been sufficient.

Any recommendations on this from the group? 7.9, 10, larger?

Now that I wrote this post out, the 10 gallon makes more sense...but since I wrote all those words, I'm posting it. :)

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
I like the Speidel 30L for fermenting....they actually hold a bit over 9gals.

Cheers!

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
The Speidels are speedy, but very nice.

I'm not sure, but a 10gal Brute would probably be less than a 7.9gal fermenter. For kits, I use a 7.9gal fermenter, but for all grapes, etc, I use 20gal Brutes.

Reaction score
I have 3 fermenters, 7 to 7.9 gallons, and four 32 gallon Brutes. The 32's are overkill for the grapes I've made, but 3 kits filled one 3/4 full. Better too big than too small.

I've been considering buying a 10-12 gallon Brute, as I've had a ferment or two that nearly over flowed a 7.9 gallon fermenter. Juice is not a problem, but when there are a lot of fruit solids combined with an enthusiastic ferment?