New Crusher / Destemmer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in the middle of northern michigans wine country so it makes more sense to do local grapes than buying juice from out of state but many of the vineyards are very reluctant to give up any of their grapes.

It looks great. I've been thinking of getting the manual version but the shipping cost seems awfully high. I keep looking for a lower shipping cost but everyone seems to want about 200 to ship the destemmer. I destemmed and crushed by hand 105 lbs of a rubiano grape last year and spent 4 hour s doing so which finished up with a stem free must but my back was killing me.

There’s not much you can do about the shipping unless you can locate one within reasonable driving distance, where are you located? Maybe you could wait for a free shipping promo, though most large items like this are excluded. Shipping on mine was $197 and it weighed 170#, but it’s more about size than weight, in the end, I had to just bite the bullet and pay the shipping. It was packaged in a large box, strapped to a wooden pallet, and shrink wrapped, delivered by a full sized tractor/trailer.

I pulled the trigger on the manual version this year. Same deal, arrived on a pallet by tractor-trailer. :)

Yep. C/D's can not be shipped via FedEx or UPS. They are too large and must be delivered via freight truck.

I’m working on getting the C/D rig on wheels. Found a company that makes caster wheel inserts that will fit into the 3/4” SS tube legs on the stand, casters thread into the inserts. I’ll get 4 sets of locking wheels and she’ll be mobile. Another pair to fit on the end of the SS tube on the C/D unit itself (on the motor end), and I’ll be able to pick up one end and wheel that around easily as well.
It’s hard being a one man show, gotta preplan your way through everything, especially when you have an aversion to asking for help.............

Yeah man, I’m looking into the same thing actually. (Although the painters baker in May worked out great. I clamped the makeshift chute right to the c/d. Stored upside down) And for the unit itself I just built a larger solid platform to fit on a standard dolly. When the unit comes off for crushing the dolly is perfect for moving the grapes.
Asking for help is a lifelong issue. But if you want something done right....

**and btw- great idea using plexiglass. Gonna steal that one. Just need another day added to the weekend.

Last edited:
**and btw- great idea using plexiglass. Gonna steal that one. Just need another day added to the weekend.

Thanks. Took that note on my iPhone (along with some others) last year while using the FVW C/D rig in Dallas. A lot of the floor mess gets shot out from the rotating paddles inside the perforated destemming tube. A simple lid on the chute will do the trick, one that you can see through is a plus, sometimes you can get little must jams in the chute, you can see them and clear them easily. Proper height receptacle to catch must is a must. Last was a proper size and height receptacle to catch the stems and inevitable drippage that comes out of the destemming discharge, I may build a SS chute for that.

It’s hard being a one man show, gotta preplan your way through everything, especially when you have an aversion to asking for help.............

I hear ya. First time I used my C/D, I was on my own. It sucked. Second time, Dad was here, and the last time, @mainshipfred was here. Much easier with two.

Thanks. Took that note on my iPhone (along with some others) last year while using the FVW C/D rig in Dallas. A lot of the floor mess gets shot out from the rotating paddles inside the perforated destemming tube. A simple lid on the chute will do the trick, one that you can see through is a plus, sometimes you can get little must jams in the chute, you can see them and clear them easily. Proper height receptacle to catch must is a must. Last was a proper size and height receptacle to catch the stems and inevitable drippage that comes out of the destemming discharge, I may build a SS chute for that.

Yup. I already had a mobile “stand” and chute prepared. Somehow got the monster (already fixed onto the painters scaffold) down the steps. But every other item you mentioned I realized after crushing 1 lug.
Made a quick plywood chute cover fixed in place. Worked well but when cleaning noticed lots left behind. A hinged see-thru cover will resolve that.
Stems everywhere. More gypsy rigging. A simple cardboard chute and Tupperware bin to receive stems. Clearly ‘function over fashion’ in my case.
Ill likely ride out another season with this operation. Don’t wanna spend time customizing until I get a legit stand/chute. Prioritizing time is huge when working 100% solo

Nice rig. How does it do with seeds? As in crushing them?

In general, they’re not supposed to crush seeds. On this particular model, the counter rotating rollers are rubber with ridges on them that don’t touch, the high of one roller falls in line with the low on the opposite roller. It’s supposed to provide a gentle but thorough crush without crushing seeds.

In general, they’re not supposed to crush seeds. On this particular model, the counter rotating rollers are rubber with ridges on them that don’t touch, the high of one roller falls in line with the low on the opposite roller. It’s supposed to provide a gentle but thorough crush without crushing seeds.

I leave the skins and seeds in the mix, so mashed seeds would be a no-no. I'd like to get one of these to replace the manual method. Can you adjust the roller spacing?

I leave the skins and seeds in the mix, so mashed seeds would be a no-no. I'd like to get one of these to replace the manual method. Can you adjust the roller spacing?

Skins and seeds in the mix are pretty much the norm for red wines, and crushed seeds release harsh tannins into the must, so it's very standard for these machines to not crush seeds.

Yes, the rollers are adjustable, and also feature a spring tension device which allows for unwanted intruders. If you somehow got a rock mixed in with the grapes, when it got sucked into the rollers, the rollers would spring apart and allow it to pass without jamming the rollers and burning up the motor or drive train.

For sure, the C/D process will require a much more comprehensive plan. Might just have to bite the bullet and do it outside in the garage and hose it all down when done. Just depends on the temps, don’t want to start with must 80’s or 90’s.

A trick I learned when helping at a winery. Hose down the concrete first and keep it wet. The wet concrete won't let the juice stain it as easily.

Yeah man, I’m looking into the same thing actually. (Although the painters baker in May worked out great. I clamped the makeshift chute right to the c/d. Stored upside down) And for the unit itself I just built a larger solid platform to fit on a standard dolly. When the unit comes off for crushing the dolly is perfect for moving the grapes.
Asking for help is a lifelong issue. But if you want something done right....

Well you hotsy totsy electric guys are just going to have to deal with the splatter. Us manual guys just control the speed.

Skins and seeds in the mix are pretty much the norm for red wines, and crushed seeds release harsh tannins into the must, so it's very standard for these machines to not crush seeds.

Yes, the rollers are adjustable, and also feature a spring tension device which allows for unwanted intruders. If you somehow got a rock mixed in with the grapes, when it got sucked into the rollers, the rollers would spring apart and allow it to pass without jamming the rollers and burning up the motor or drive train.

Thanks John, that makes it an easy choice.

We did almost 1000 lbs manual last year and I noticed it getting harder to turn as we passed about 1/4 of the grapes through. We ended up opening up a pulling tangled and extra stems that didn't throw off automatically. I only mention that because I don't think I've heard that mentioned before and I would think with the motorized version you could build up lots of extra strain before realizing it. Maybe it's just my C/D but a thought possibly worth keeping in the back of your head. Great looking machine!
Mike

We did almost 1000 lbs manual last year and I noticed it getting harder to turn as we passed about 1/4 of the grapes through. We ended up opening up a pulling tangled and extra stems that didn't throw off automatically. I only mention that because I don't think I've heard that mentioned before and I would think with the motorized version you could build up lots of extra strain before realizing it. Maybe it's just my C/D but a thought possibly worth keeping in the back of your head. Great looking machine!
Mike

Where were they tangled Mike? On the spinning shaft inside the perforated destemming tube where the paddles spin?

The cork screw shaft, I'm guessing a few would get caught up then the back up and tangle would begin. Crushed grapes kept going out the bottom but fewer stems came out the front. Took a while to clear it the first time after that we'd open the front panel and make sure it was clear as a preemptive action and that worked out great.

The cork screw shaft, I'm guessing a few would get caught up then the back up and tangle would begin. Crushed grapes kept going out the bottom but fewer stems came out the front. Took a while to clear it the first time after that we'd open the front panel and make sure it was clear as a preemptive action and that worked out great.

OK, I'll definitely keep that in mind!!

Latest posts

Back