New cellar dweller

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevinsac

Junior
Reaction score
Hello! I've was hired onto a California winery just over a month ago. I've been making mead and brewing beer at home for a handful of years with some success. Now I'm working in the tank room, racking barrels, and lab, testing SO2, alcohols and bacteria.

I could use a little help from this forum to find a starting point in my education as our winery keeps firing winemakers. I've read a few home brewing books and now need something more focused on commercial wine. Has anyone got any suggestions on recent/up to date learning resources for commercial wine making?

Cheers!
Kevin

Welcome to WMT! Lots of knowledge here but only a few (small) commercial wineries it seems. Plenty of experienced amateurs for sure.

Thanks ibglowin, looks interesting. The title sounds like a homebrew book. Think it will translate to a professional environment?

CDrew: yes I'm in Sacramento, are you in my area? Sorry,I rather not say which winery out of professional courtesy. But we produce about 150,000 bottles annually I'm told. This is my first job at a winery but it seems we are a fairly large producer.

This is way over most beginning winemakers. It will easily take you into the advanced winemaking arena. If you want more detail you should look towards UCD Enology textbooks but I doubt they would be available for only $16.

Thanks ibglowin, looks interesting. The title sounds like a homebrew book. Think it will translate to a professional environment?

CDrew: yes I'm in Sacramento, are you in my area? Sorry,I rather not say which winery out of professional courtesy. But we produce about 150,000 bottles annually I'm told. This is my first job at a winery but it seems we are a fairly large producer.

Yes-Just outside of Sacramento proper. It sounds like you should take the UCD course work and get familiar with the chems. Unless your winery willing to train you, which is cool.

For an overview, the Pambianchi book is very good. THe specifics will be "learn on the job". Good luck.

Thanks folks! I'll start with your suggestions Pambianchi. If this job works out I might look into UCD (which I expect will be $$$). I appreciate the help!

#1 Concepts in Wine Chemistry, by: Yair Margalit, (my copy is 1997); If you have had some chemistry it is extremely useful since it will explain the logic/ math behind why things happen. If you haven't had much chemistry the 20% which has graphics as extraction rate of phenolics in barrels or portion of sulphite vs days of fermentation as free SO2 will show you the trends which the math is about. It is dated which means that none of the recent genetic work is in it. It covers all phases of wine making. Margalit also did a book on Winery operations. it covers what Concepts does but has an operations focus so it is 1/3 the size and skips most of the math/chemistry
#2 Techniques in Home Winemaking, by Pambianchi; It covers all phases of wine making, it is written for a high school grad who didn't take chemistry. You can also get some of Pambianchi's insight/ ask questions on facebook, he is in two groups one which is open and a closed QA dialogue for folks that have taken his course.
#3 Modern Winemaking, by Philip Jackish, (my copy is 1985), It covers all phases of wine making, doesn't have the XY graphics or math that Margalit gives but good insight
#4 this should be about wine faults, unfortunately I don't have a favorite. I have Hudelson but I would put him on the technical level of most homemade wine books
#5 this should be wine scoring or flavor judging, a lot of wine is hedonic and you don't learn it without practice, UC davis? sample competitors? or for me being part of a vinters club.
#6 the vendors are excellent, I haven't spent enough time in the local winery to collect copies of yeast/chemical/stainless steel catalogues, Scott labs has a good technical lab. UC Davis can help you with business card contacts.
my education as our winery keeps firing winemakers. I've read a few home brewing books and now need something more focused on commercial wine. Has anyone got any suggestions on recent/up to date learning resources for commercial wine making? Kevin

Back