New Cabernet/Merlot co-ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbush

Reaction score
I am getting ready to pitch yeast on 2 - 5 gallon buckets this evening.

I am co-fermenting a cabernet and merlot bucket.
My initial readings are as follows from the combined buckets.

Brix 25.1
pH 4.06
TA 5.3

So here is my plan and want to hear from you if you think I am heading in right direction.

1. I want to bring brix down to 24.5. I am going to add 0.46L of acid/water (6gm tartaric with 1 liter water)

2. Next I want to increase the TA by 2g/L. This I calculated based on 6 gallons total juice came to 45gm of tartaric acid.

I plan to add half and then retest.

What say the experts?

Just as an additional question. I have another 5 gallon bucket of Cabernet must coming this week. I just pitched yeast on the current batch.

Is it possible to adjust the new bucket when in comes in 3-5 days for acid/pH/gravity and just add it to the current batch of must that will be currently fermenting away?

Just as an additional question. I have another 5 gallon bucket of Cabernet must coming this week. I just pitched yeast on the current batch.

Is it possible to adjust the new bucket when in comes in 3-5 days for acid/pH/gravity and just add it to the current batch of must that will be currently fermenting away?

Anything is posdible, but.....I'd blend them a bit as a time so as not to shock the working yeast. Or, ferment it separately, mabe a different yeast, and blend afterwards for fun.:h

Latest posts

Back