New Brute Arrived Today!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! You know I was just thinking I need at least 2 more 32 gallon Brutes before next Saturday. Amazon here I come!

Awesome! You know I was just thinking I need at least 2 more 32 gallon Brutes before next Saturday. Amazon here I come!

It occurred to me that I actually needed 2 - not sure why I only ordered one. :slp

But I can drive to the Home Depot that is 4 miles away from my work place and get it the same price, plus instant gratification.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...und-Trash-Can-with-Lid-FG8620-20GRA/100211748

Now I like the color you are getting, since I've found trash from the kids from mine before (I think they think it is really a trash can and not a fermenter). Always amazed they can find the trash can in the basement but miss the one right in front of them upstairs in the family room.

I may have to get another one if these Lanza grapes don't come in soon.

Have any of you ever gotten a lid along with the bucket? Is a Brute lid of any real use for wine making?

Have any of you ever gotten a lid along with the bucket? Is a Brute lid of any real use for wine making?

Bill,
I bought 2 32 gallon Brutes at Walmart with lids last year. I did like the ease of placing it over while fermenting. The 2 32 gallon white Brutes I just ordered from Amazon are without. I'll simply use a towel.

I usually pick up the lid since it is included in the price. I figure if I get the sides all messed up and don't want to use it for wine making I actually use it for trash. Plus, it keeps most of the fruit flies out if you add something porous right where the "outcroppings" on the lid line up. I usually add a paper towel or two, I'm sure if the buggers want to get in they will, but a ferment at full tilt could care less about a few fruit files since the CO2 will create an environment that doesn't make for nice living conditions for the flies. Plus when you add the Kmeta it helps inhibit the bacteria that turn our wonderful elixir into high priced cooking vinegar.

Lids for Brutes tend to be sold separately. That said they are invaluable to have. They fit loose enough to allow CO2 to escape but tight enough to keep the fruit fly's out. And let me tell you if you get 8 20G Brutes going all at the same time all it takes is one fruit fly to get out and go tell his buddies about the party at your house........

Also the lids are needed (at least for me) as I ferment in the garage or winery at times and them press out on the back Patio. If I didn't have a lid on I would have wine sloshing all over the place as I moved them from one level of the house to another and then over a bumpy brick patio. I couldn't do this without major spillage if I didn't have a lid on every one of them!

I get mine from the local restaurant supply store, with lids. I simply snap the lids down when fermenting. Don't fit so tight it builds up pressure but keeps the fruit flies out.

since my last 20 years i worked commercial/retail (shopping malls) I've got 8 or ten of the bigger ones with lids and the bottom coasters so you can move them around the winery, this spring i'm cutting back to only 2#-14 gallon barrels and adding 2# of my big brutes, i checked the code letters on the barrels and they are food grade
Dawg

I usually get the lids for the reasons Mike stated. I got my first Brute at Home Depot, but since then, they only have them 'ship to store'. They do carry the larger ones though.

The Brute "dolly's" are very nice but also VERY expensive ($35 ea at Home Depot). I use an $9 (on sale) moving dolly from Harbor Freight.

image_24814.jpg

Here's a rookie question. Do you buy the wheels? Or plan ahead of time and leave it in 1 place.

I plan ahead. Like Mike said, $35 - that's more than the can and lid combined. I may do some harbor freight dollies at some point, but so far haven't felt a need for them.

I've only bought 10 gallon Brutes, one from HD and one off Amazon, so I've no need for wheels.

I was in Lowes today looking for parts for my filter. Low and behold in the paint department they have 2gal and 5 gal hdpe food grade buckets. $2.98 and $3.98. Needless to say a couple made it home:h

Latest posts

Back