New Beginnings!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyb

Junior
Reaction score
I'm about to start wine making again in retirement after a 35 year hiatus. We moved to Boise Idaho in 2012 and my landscaping is starting to bear an abundance of rhubarb, pie cherries, apples, blackberries, plums and peaches. I've studied up on the technical aspects of fermenting, bottling, acidity, SG etc but what I will be learning a lot about are the various combinations of the above fruits/berries/plants that make good wine.

In the next month or so I will have to be making some combination of peach/apple/plum/blackberry/elderberry wines in 1 to 3 gallon batches. I've got pretty good recipes for the individual ingredients but would like to experiment with combinations. It sounds like the Welches Concord/Peach combination is a definite try, but would welcome any other suggestions. Also, does it make more sense to brew up the individual fruits/berries and then mix them before bottling rather than fermenting them together? Next year I will have the rhubarb and pie cherries to work with as well, although I suppose I could get sour cherry juice now from Trader Joe's to use.

Any how, happy to be here and appreciate your comments.

it is always best to ferment separately then try different blends once the wine is clear. Each fruit has it separate requirements and doing them separately retains there aroma and taste better. also by blending post fermentation many more combinations can be made rather than at fermentation once commitment is made any other combination is mute.

A good blend is apple/pear, also rhubarb and strawberry, I would think plum/blackberry might do well. the delicate flavor of a peach wine is difficult but with apple it might give you more body. Have fun!

it is always best to ferment separately then try different blends once the wine is clear. Each fruit has it separate requirements and doing them separately retains there aroma and taste better. also by blending post fermentation many more combinations can be made rather than at fermentation once commitment is made any other combination is mute.

A good blend is apple/pear, also rhubarb and strawberry, I would think plum/blackberry might do well. the delicate flavor of a peach wine is difficult but with apple it might give you more body. Have fun!

Thanks for the reply, I'll ferment separately then. Good idea about the plum blackberry. I should have 3 gallons each of those if all goes well. And next year I'll definitely try the rhubarb/strawberry, certainly makes good pies...

Latest posts

Back