New Barrels for Forum Members

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll put this out there for anyone who may be interested. I was really pumped up to get a couple barrels through Fred here and have been looking for something to get started since the news broke there won’t be a group buy. I saw morewine has Hungarian barrels, they’re not available in the size I wanted AND are more expensive. However I just noticed morewine is offering 15% off many of their products including the barrels so I bit the bullet and ordered one with a stand. Got this for $303.96 shipped to me. Just hope it is worth the money. Definitely want to get a couple 40L barrels through Fred next time he does this.

38110.png

Balazs New Hungarian Oak Barrel - 28L

I’ll put this out there for anyone who may be interested. I was really pumped up to get a couple barrels through Fred here and have been looking for something to get started since the news broke there won’t be a group buy. I saw morewine has Hungarian barrels, they’re not available in the size I wanted AND are more expensive. However I just noticed morewine is offering 15% off many of their products including the barrels so I bit the bullet and ordered one with a stand. Got this for $303.96 shipped to me. Just hope it is worth the money. Definitely want to get a couple 40L barrels through Fred next time he does this.

38110.png

My guess is you'll be happy with it, welcome to the barrel world.

38110.png

They are good barrels I used one for cab franc. I’m getting a couple this fall since I couldn’t obtain other barrels.

For those of you that don't know I am a distributor of Zemplen Barrels in Hungary. I'm not a commercial dealer I just set up to help fellow winemakers offset the cost of barrels. My first shipment was 10 barrles. 5 - 25 liter and 5 - 30 liter. The cost for the 25s was $185.50 and $195.50 for the 30s. I can get any size and any toast. My next price break is 20 barrels and don't have the pricing yet. I was planning on placing my next order the beginning of the year for a July, August or September delivery. The price increase is nominal as the size goes up. If you're interested let me know what you want. Again, I'm not in this for profit and if I can get 20 interested people I'm thinking the price for the 25s and 30s would drop $20.00. I'm in the Washington DC area and have no idea the cost of shipping but would send them at cost.
Fred, just checking to see if/when you will be placing orders for barrels.

So jealous you guys can get barrels so bloody easily. Here in Oz it's basically impossible to get anything under 225L, so I had to buy one of those, break it down, somehow jam 4 x 30L plastic drums into it, then put the bloody thing back together. Now I have a 100L barrel, just with a shit-ton more surface are to volume 😒

It's barrel ordering time again. Hopefully we get enough interest this year to place the order, there were a few disappointed folks last year when we couldn't place it. The prices have gone up slightly from last year as should be expected.

The prices are based on a 20 barrel order. If we have less than 20 the shipping cost to me is slightly higher, maybe $5 - $10 each.

Also for those that require me to ship the barrels I would prefer you provide me a shipping ticket, preferably UPS. I have included the dimension and weight of the barrels for the 25 - 50 liters. I never had to ship anything larger so I don't have the information. When getting the shipping cost remember there is a crated and uncrated selection to be made. Since I send these without boxes they sometimes charge them as uncrate which is slightly higher.

I have to have the orders no later than early to mid June for a September/October delivery.

25 liter $220 15x15x16 - 24 lbs
30 liter $230 16x16x17 - 26 lbs
40 liter $240 18x18x19 - 32 lbs
50 liter $250 20x20x21 - 41 lbs
100 liter $335 TBD
120 liter $350 TBD

I only have 2 orders so far and the cooperage just informed they are having production problems and are not sure if they will be able to make the small barrels. Below is a link for a company another member bought barrels from and seems to be pleased with them. They are American oak rather than Hungarian. Wish I had better news.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/new-barrels-for-forum-members.67181/post-747454
From what I have been told it is both an issue of getting materials and labor for it as cooperages are short handed right now,

Latest posts

Back