New Barrels for Forum Members

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely works for me, perhaps if you're interested while you are here we could visit one of the local wineries with a few of other forum members.
Maybe so, I could bring my wife if we did that. Put me down for 2 40 L barrels please. I saw you need a deposit, once you get enough to meet the minimum let me know how to get the deposit to you.

I just responded to another member that there was a typo on the cost sheet. The 120s are $325.00. Do you still want them. Also, where do you live, shipping these large barrels would be quite costly.
At that cost it’s much more than I had thought it would be I need to see if they are cheaper locally if I can even get them with supply shortages I’ll have to get back to you.

I just responded to another member that there was a typo on the cost sheet. The 120s are $325.00. Do you still want them. Also, where do you live, shipping these large barrels would be quite costly.
I just checked and if I buy locally the supplier told me they would need to order them in and it would be way more than buying yours they want $650 each for a 120 liter barrel and shipping is like $185. Depending on your shipping cost it might still save money over getting them locally.

I’m interested In stepping up my game and getting a barrel. 25l. Question to others. Are people doing kits using this size or doubling the kit and getting a 40l? I also started doing grapes, but similar quantity so I think I’ll start here, but curious if anyone has differ T thoughts.

It looks like we lost our chance for barrels this year. There is a shipping issue and the container has to leave July 4th but it has to be trucked to a German port from Hungary. Plus they have to make the barrels.
Darn, I’ve been researching barrel aging wine since posting earlier in this thread. I was excited to jump in the deep end as I’m wont to do!

I’ll start looking for smallish used barrels I guess, any suggestions anyone?

But consider me in next time Fred.

Darn, I’ve been researching barrel aging wine since posting earlier in this thread. I was excited to jump in the deep end as I’m wont to do!

I’ll start looking for smallish used barrels I guess, any suggestions anyone?

But consider me in next time Fred.
I started calling around and everything is spoken for and or out of stock so I’m going to have a rough fall might have to use cubes this year again cause I can’t locate any barrels due to shortages.

I started calling around and everything is spoken for and or out of stock so I’m going to have a rough fall might have to use cubes this year again cause I can’t locate any barrels due to shortages.
Thanks for the info, I’m going to look at new ones elsewhere although I’ll pay much more than I would through St Fred!

Maybe a stupid question, but is it imperative that new wine (once racked, twice racked) go in barrels immediately? Are there problems with bulk storing in glass or stainless until barrels are available? If so, what are they?

No problem at all as long as you have the vessel topped up and under an airlock or solid stopper. After that its all about keeping proper levels of sulfites over long periods of time.

Maybe a stupid question, but is it imperative that new wine (once racked, twice racked) go in barrels immediately? Are there problems with bulk storing in glass or stainless until barrels are available? If so, what are they?

I do it all the time, especially with whites since I only have 2 white barrels.

I keep wine in a variable stainless tank for long periods of time. You just have to seal it keep your airlock filled up and keep on top of sulfite additions.

Thanks for the replies.

When the answers you get aren't the answers you are expecting, look to the question you asked!

Specifically, I'd like to discuss order of operations. If barrel storage is limited, wine will necessarily move between barrels and other bulk storage containers. Is there a reason, like micro-oxidation or oaking, that is specifically desirable to occur early(ier) in the bulk storage process. For instance, is it desirable to have micro-oxidation occur earlier than later? Once the O2 is introduced in micro doses, does it shorten the bulk time? Is it an advantage to place the wine in oak storage earlier so that if over-oaked corrections can be made?

Thanks for the replies.

When the answers you get aren't the answers you are expecting, look to the question you asked!

Specifically, I'd like to discuss order of operations. If barrel storage is limited, wine will necessarily move between barrels and other bulk storage containers. Is there a reason, like micro-oxidation or oaking, that is specifically desirable to occur early(ier) in the bulk storage process. For instance, is it desirable to have micro-oxidation occur earlier than later? Once the O2 is introduced in micro doses, does it shorten the bulk time? Is it an advantage to place the wine in oak storage earlier so that if over-oaked corrections can be made?

I thought you asked the question correctly in the first place. As I said with my limited barrels for white wines I am forced to age what I can in the barrels with the rest in carboys. Once I feel the barreled wines have sufficient time I transfer the wine in the carboy to the barrel and barrel to carboy. At bottling both go to a brute so the same wine with regard to oak, micro ox, sulfites or anything else that might contribute are bottled as one. Have yet to have any issues

Latest posts

Back