New Barrels for Forum Members

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you that don't know I am a distributor of Zemplen Barrels in Hungary. I'm not a commercial dealer I just set up to help fellow winemakers offset the cost of barrels. My first shipment was 10 barrles. 5 - 25 liter and 5 - 30 liter. The cost for the 25s was $185.50 and $195.50 for the 30s. I can get any size and any toast. My next price break is 20 barrels and don't have the pricing yet. I was planning on placing my next order the beginning of the year for a July, August or September delivery. The price increase is nominal as the size goes up. If you're interested let me know what you want. Again, I'm not in this for profit and if I can get 20 interested people I'm thinking the price for the 25s and 30s would drop $20.00. I'm in the Washington DC area and have no idea the cost of shipping but would send them at cost.

You can probably twist my arm for one next year. If I don't take one of the extras from your shop before then. :D

Do you have to get multiple barrels of the same size? Or is just 10/20 barrels total regardless of sizes?
If not then I’d be interested in a 1/4 barrel size range—depending on what volumes they make- but something like 40-55L range. Ideally a 50L. Let me know bud. Thanks

Also- just a thought- but your new Wash St. grape connect seems like a pretty tight knit group. Not sure of how they organize all the customers- but I’d be willing to bet advertising through them— and having barrels available by the time grapes are in would totally move a good amount as well. Grapes and barrels- one stop shop. Then you could start including some overhead for all the work your putting in too! If nothing else- time is money— and gas ain’t free either!

Do you have to get multiple barrels of the same size? Or is just 10/20 barrels total regardless of sizes?
If not then I’d be interested in a 1/4 barrel size range—depending on what volumes they make- but something like 40-55L range. Ideally a 50L. Let me know bud. Thanks

Size doesn't matter, but that's another topic, LOL! Yes it's only the quantity.

Also- just a thought- but your new Wash St. grape connect seems like a pretty tight knit group. Not sure of how they organize all the customers- but I’d be willing to bet advertising through them— and having barrels available by the time grapes are in would totally move a good amount as well. Grapes and barrels- one stop shop. Then you could start including some overhead for all the work your putting in too! If nothing else- time is money— and gas ain’t free either!

Not to be confused but they are 2 different groups. The Washington Winemakers is a local DC group and sourced from Cali. The Washington State grapes @Boatboy24 Jim and I received are from a local winery. Good point on letting the local group know about the barrels and I could charge a little for my troubles but as far as the forum I'm just happy to help out.

AJ, just my 2 cents. The 50L barrel is a lot bigger than the 40L one. I can “man handle” the 40, the 50 not really. The 50 does not fit in my laundry tub, the 40 does for easy cleaning. The 40 at like 10.6 gals works great for my assortment of 5 and 6 gal carboys too. Roy

AJ, just my 2 cents. The 50L barrel is a lot bigger than the 40L one. I can “man handle” the 40, the 50 not really. The 50 does not fit in my laundry tub, the 40 does for easy cleaning. The 40 at like 10.6 gals works great for my assortment of 5 and 6 gal carboys too. Roy

Well I’ve got myself a big ass tub in the wineroom! Lol. I’m not worried about that anyway though. At this point I’ve got multiple 20gal+ batches. 54L demi and 50L barrel will work well together.
And thanks for the info. When you say “manhandle” do you mean full? My Current 30L is on a rack with castors Freeld built. That has been incredibly helpful and I plan to build another rack/dolly for any barrel I would get.

Not to be confused but they are 2 different groups. The Washington Winemakers is a local DC group and sourced from Cali. The Washington State grapes @Boatboy24 Jim and I received are from a local winery. Good point on letting the local group know about the barrels and I could charge a little for my troubles but as far as the forum I'm just happy to help out.

Yep. Totally combined 2 different things there. But the thought is still there. Just because I was thinking it might be difficult to move 20 barrels otherwise.

Heck AJ, I can barely lift the 50L barrel Empty! All my carboys are on rolling carts under a table, the barrels now 3 of them are on top of the table, figuring I don’t play with them as much & im running out of space. Hence the second level. You can see them in my avatar. Roy

Yep. Totally combined 2 different things there. But the thought is still there. Just because I was thinking it might be difficult to move 20 barrels otherwise.

I didn't plan on getting 20 unless I get interest in 20 barrels. I just used 20 because they told me that would be the next price break although the price for 10 wasn't terrible.

I see @mainshipfred is located in Washington, DC. If anyone in the Toronto, Ontario region (GTA/Niagara), or even further if you're willing to drive, is interested in oak barrels, I have a guy here who sells great French oak barrels for great pricess as well. Us Canadians may have a tough time clearing the border with barrels or lugs of grapes!! ;)

I have to assume that the toasting level on the most recent 50L barrel i bought is strong, as the flavours in my most recent red blend are strong (noticeable in only a couple of weeks). But they seem to be great quality barrels nonetheless!

Latest posts

Back