New Barrels for Forum Members

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You referenced oxygen transfer of the tank to be 2mg/l per month for the specified tank. I know this is a loaded question due to size, wood and other factors but do you have any idea transfer rate of a comparable size barrel?

Studies have been done over the years, Vivas 1997, The numbers range between 10mg/L/yr for old barrels, and 20 to 45mg/L/yr for new barrels. There are some discussions regarding how much oxygen is actually going through the wood and between staves, and how much oxygen is contained in new wood. The way Flextanks are made, the oxygen transfer rate is scaled up accordingly, so theoretically a 100gal tank provides the same 2mg/l/yr as does a 60gal tank as does a 30gal tank.

In your opinion is transfer in and out of the vessel or one or the other? This may go back to the first question and if the transfer rate is sizably different and is an in and out transfer I wonder how this would impact the wine differently.

Plastic is permeable both ways, but the rate and direction depends on molecule size as well as pressure or concentration difference across the wall; you have a constant supply of oxygen on the outside of the tank and near zero concentration in the wine, therefore the oxygen moves into the wine where it is immediately consumed. If the dissolved oxygen content of the wine starts to climb, then it needs to be removed from the tank or barrel, as this indicates that the oxygen is coming in faster than it is being consumed.

I agree all the cleaning, handling and storage benefits so my last question is the treatment of the headspace. How do you deal with that?

The tank needs to be topped up just like a barrel, I don't leave any headspace.

Thanks for doing the research and putting it in layman's terms. I just posted another study on oak barrels and dissolved O2 was included in it. It seems like a substantial exchange rate difference between the 2 and I'm wondering (if your posted rate is for a 225 liter barrel) does a small barrel with a greater surface to volume ratio cause the DO rate to climb faster and aside from over oaking require the wine to be removed sooner. Sorry for all the questions.

Sorry but I do know flextanks have their place but to say that evaporation doesn't improve the wine is a bit of a stretch. I only did one batch of syrah for 3 months and did a side by side taste test with a "control" that didn't go into the barrel. The differance was dramatic. The evaporation rate of my small barrel was pretty extreme, so there was a lot of concentration going on. I'm looking to get 3 or 4 more. A flextank is great if you making large amounts of wine, so they do have a place. However comparing it to a barrel............nope

I may be interested in one of each. As I am a kit maker, 6 gallon batches, I would need to determine a process for the over/under. Have you shipped any to anyone else? Curious what the shipping estimate is, I'm in Ohio. Thanks.

When to UPS yesterday and ground from Chantilly, VA to Columbus, OH (random zip code) was just under $40.00 for the 30 liter. Not sure how much less the 25 would be.

Yep. Small leak when filled with water that stopped in a few minutes. Filled with amarone now and no leaks. Thanks again for everything.

I've received a few requests for barrels over the last few months but don't yet have the 10 count. I won't be getting any for myself this time since I already have 5. I'm getting pricing for 25, 30, 40 and 50 liter barrels with the 10 count. I was hoping for 20 to get the extra discount but it probably isn't going to happen. Please let me know your interest so I can hopefully place this order sometime in February. The barrels will probably be an August delivery if all holds true from last year.

You can count me in for a 50L. The timeline doesn’t matter much at all.
Pickup however is a little tricky, and heading down to Baltimore isn’t very ideal. Tho I’m confident we can figure something out, even if ya got hold onto it for a bit longer- if that’s ok.
For example, if one of us ever finds ourselves needing to go to some central meeting point for something unrelated could be an opportunity, or it’s a Saturday and the girls decide we can have a nice day trip in Baltimore to coincide, or even if we exchange up at SplitRock 2020 lol—-some sort of opportunity will present itself.

50L Hungarian barrel from the Zemplen forest for $205 ??? That’s a hard YES

Need 9 more orders AJ, you're the first to commit.

Lol. Well barreling up” over the next couple years is 100% part of my plan. Only looking at 1/4 barrels for now, and ultimately 1/2 barrels (no smaller frenchies in US). Ideally having a handful of 15gal, and 30gal, of Hungarian and French in rotation.
So I know I’ll be wanting one of these regardless. I have no intentions of slowing down any time soon!

Latest posts

Back