New Barrels for Forum Members

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
50L Hungarian barrel Timing will work perfectly for Spring ‘20 grapes and then roll right into fall grapes. 👍 Much obliged @mainshipfred. It was great seeing you this morning. Enjoy your South African crush today and good luck! View attachment 60258
AJ, do you have wine in the barrel yet? If you don't do you have any way of weighing it and giving me the dimensions. If there is already wine in it the dimensions would be great. I need it to estimate shipping costs for another member.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Reaction score
Question for the barrel owning community. I have a Cab-Syrah blend that will be turning 1 year old. I hit it with 90 gr of French and Hungarian medium+ Toast oak cubes for each 6 gal of wine. I also have a 2 year old OVZin, which I think I dropped 60 gr of oak/6 gal carboy. The OVZ is a little light and tart while the C/S blend is really spot on.

They’re both going to be shuffled after this year’s crush and I have about 16 gallons of each.

Here’s the question: would you barrel age either of them? I was thinking I might. Suggestions please.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
AJ, do you have wine in the barrel yet? If you don't do you have any way of weighing it and giving me the dimensions. If there is already wine in it the dimensions would be great. I need it to estimate shipping costs for another member.
Just seeing this post now. If you still need this info I can get it for you. Barrel is still empty. Been busy lately and have yet to fill ‘r up.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
That would be great if you could and glad your busy.
50L barrel specs

44 lbs.
20” length
17” diameter heads
19-1/4” diameter middle

Not exact but good enough for shipping estimate purposes. If the container was exactly 20” x 20” x 20” and the barrel was factory wrapped with the cardboard around the heads then it would be tight. Might need to bump to the next size up. 👍
3E728228-7225-4148-811F-509A2F386ABA.jpeg

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
50L barrel specs

44 lbs.
20” length
17” diameter heads
19-1/4” diameter middle

Not exact but good enough for shipping estimate purposes. If the container was exactly 20” x 20” x 20” and the barrel was factory wrapped with the cardboard around the heads then it would be tight. Might need to bump to the next size up. 👍
View attachment 64530
Thank you AJ!

Latest posts